Review by imagine606

"The Series Takes the Next Step On the Portable Level"

The Assassins Creed series, in a very short time, has become a favorite series of many, and with good reason. The series combines many excellent elements of fighting (including mostly melee and stealth skills) as well as a good storyline and very good worlds that are largely open.

The series has already gone into the world of portable gaming. Altair's Chronicles, Bloodlines, and Discovery have all come out on portable systems. The closest to really capturing the essence of the series has been Bloodlines. Bloodlines is indeed a good game, but there was still something missing from that game. However, that something missing is no longer missing now. It does have a very different feel due to it being released on the same day as Assassin's Creed 3, and an offshoot of the game. The reason for this is that these two games are the first to take place in the modern day United States of America. The general themes of the games because of this are very different due to the social issues at the time. Also, just the difference in time period makes these games very different. Still, the game feels like a true Assassin's Creed game.

The subject matter of this game is something that is very dear to me. When I was growing up I spent a lot of time and effort into anti-racism efforts. Despite growing up white in the upper-middle class, racism was something that I did see at times, and it was something that never failed to get my blood boiling. In the 1700's and most of the 1800's it was even worse. I don't think I need to go into a history lesson, but slavery was something that was practiced at the time.

To really simplify the plot of the game, the overall goal of this game is to free slaves by ending what was, even for the time, an illegal slavery ring.

A lot of the missions in the game are pretty simple. For the majority of the game the missions are simple going places with some platforming and combat. However, as you move along, as they should, the missions start to become more complex. The stealth missions become much tougher as the game goes on, with a couple of missions later on that really gave me trouble. To be honest though, they came at good times, because I do remember starting to get bored with some of the missions by that point. However, I'll get to some of that later. Either way, near the end some of the melee and stealth missions start to get really good.

The aesthetics on this game are very good. The music is nicely done and not very intrusive on anything at all. The graphics are very well done, they're right there on par with some of the other good looking Vita games.

The character development in this game is very spotty. At times it's very good, such as with some of the main characters in the game, but at other times it's really not very good, such as with almost any villain in the game that you're supposed to hate (outside of one, which I won't mention). There were some characters that I really felt connected with, but at the same time there were missions when I really didn't feel into what I was doing. Still, like I said, there were still a lot of characters that I also did get into and felt were well developed.

There were other flaws with the game. The first, and one that most will make the biggest deal about is the glitches. There were several glitches that I hit on my way in. A couple of them were simple little ones, one caused my game to freeze and I had to start the mission over, and another caused an object in a scene near the end to be slightly off from where it was supposed to be. The total damage done to me was pretty much a couple of minutes from the game being frozen. I still knew where the object was supposed to be, and the other two were small enough to make no difference to me. They are things that should not be problems, but in the end, as a user, they make little to no difference to me. The other major flaw that I felt the game had times where the missions just got monotonous.

As a whole, this was a good game. It was finally a portable Assassin's Creed that actually felt like an Assassin's Creed game, despite being a game that was released on the same day that the series took a drastic turn. The game was not without its flaws, but at the same time it was still a game that was a lot of fun to play for the same reasons that the rest of the games in the series are fun to play.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/20/12

Game Release: Assassin's Creed III: Liberation (US, 10/30/12)