Review by MattSensei85

"Slick Storytelling/Mystery/Puzzles at their finest, and one truly great sequel."

This game is of course the sequel to the great visual novel game Nine Person's, Nine Hours, Nine Doors. Which in it's own right is a fantastic game and to get the most out of this game, I would recommend you play that game first as there is a lot that relates to this one.

The game starts out like the previous one, strangers all in a mysterious place having to play the Nonary Game(a game that revolves around the number 9). Not much I can really say about the story as it would give away even the slightest of spoilers in which I think you should go into this game fresh as there are tons of plot twists and revelations.

Gameplay is in 2 portions: Novel and Escape

Novel has you reading through the story(listening to VO) and making choices while escape is the main puzzle solving section.

The puzzles themselves are rather clever, and require some thought to solve them. There are usually 2 solutions one leading to an escape and one that leads to getting a file with background info on the game which is a nice little touch.

The novel portion is interesting as it gives you a flow chart to keep track of your progress, so you can go back to a previous point to continue the story, which interestingly enough it in itself is part of the story which is a cool way to explain a game mechanic. There are choices to be made such as who pairs up with who for what door and all but to truly experience the game you should go through all scenarios to see the true end(as there are multiple endings). Most of the endings either leave a to be continued feel as they are not usually the most ideal. Where you still learn more information, but it's pretty easy to jump right in and get to an ending and try another path until you figure it all out.

the Characters themselves are interesting in their own way and possibly even familiar if you played the first game.

The controls were satisfactory and served their purpose as does the music. I thought the voice overs were pretty good as well.

I think the story is one of the best in the medium and should be experienced once.

I clocked in about 40 hours to complete the entire game and enjoyed every minute of it. I cannot recommend it enough, though you need to know what you are getting into with this game as it is a visual novel with puzzle elements.

10/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/07/12

Game Release: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (US, 10/23/12)