Review by Reviewkid97

"A good system with a few flaws"

It's sad to see, really. Nintendo's consoles becoming the alternative instead of the dominator it once was. Since the GameCube, Nintendo has been trailing in the market for a while. The Wii U, which was released in late 2012, is trailing the technically superior PS4 and Xbox One already. The Wii U has a lot to like and pretty good potential. Let's take a look at some individual categories on the Wii U.

Console Design: B+
The Wii U's design is pretty similar to the Wii and is smaller than the Xbox One and PS4. It looks good and presents itself well. I do like the new blue, black, and white color scheme that Nintendo is using, and it's a lot simpler than the PS4 and Xbox One.

Controllers: (Remote: C) (Gamepad: A)
I'm mixed on the Wii U's controllers. On one hand, I've never been a fan of the Wii remote and they use it for the Wii U as well. On the other hand, I do love the originality of the Wii U gamepad. It's huge but pretty comfortable to use. The screen built into it is cool, and I like how Nintendo tried something new with the Wii U Gamepad.

Games: B+
I love Nintendo's first party titles as much as everybody else, but I feel like Nintendo is starting to rehash a lot of their games. Super Mario Bros. U, while a great game, feels like a graphical enhancement to Super Mario Bros. or Super Mario World. Also, the Wii U has a severe lack of third party support. That said, their first-party titles are outstanding. For example, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds was absolutely amazing, and Super Mario 3D World was awesome as well. I also like how they depend less on the motion aspect. The Wii's motion controls were really good, but it was too gimmicky for me to pay much attention. The Wii U feels more like a normal game system.

Graphics: B
While not as lifelike as the Xbox One's or PS4's graphics, the Wii U's graphics still look nice. The first party titles look great for the most part and are sharp and colorful.

Overall: B
I really think the Wii U has good potential. It has excellent first-party titles, a good design, the excellent gamepad, and at only $299.99, is the cheapest next-gen console on the market. The Wii U is good value for younger gamers and older gamers alike.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/28/14

Game Release: Wii U (Deluxe Set) (US, 11/18/12)