Review by TooTooP2

"It's the little things that gives this game the "New" feeling"

For the first time in fifteen years a Mario game has been released on a systems launch date. Mario is out to save the princess again, but this time in beautiful HD. Although the graphics are better than they ever have been for Mario, it's the addicting game play and challenge that make this game truly shine. Nintendo has made what might be the best 2D Mario game since Super Mario World.

While New Super Mario Bros. U is a treat graphically it still sticks with the same game play that have made 2D Mario games so fun over the years. New Super Mario Bros. U can be played fully on Nintendo's new gamepad. No longer will I have to bother my wife over constant use of the television. Surprisingly the adventure looks nearly as good on the gamepad as it does on the big screen. While the features used with the gamepad are good, it feels a bit underused for what it is capable of. After playing yoshi's fruit cart on nintendo land, it is a bit disappointing not to see stretch the limits for Mario's new adventure. For gamers who played the previous title New Super Mario Bros Wii, Nintendo has supported wii motes for the game as well.

For the single-player mode Mario, Luigi, Yellow Toad, and Blue Toad have set out to rescue the princess from Bowser. Along the way you will find old power ups along with new ones. The fire and ice flower both return and make quite a few appearances. The newest and my personal favorite power up in the game is the flying squirrel suit. While it might feel like previous flying power ups at first, the flying squirrel allows you to glide over difficult situations.

New Super Mario Bros. U offers a few new songs to the series, but most of the music will be songs you have heard from previous titles. While the music is mostly reused, it still has a classic feel to it that fits most of the new levels perfectly. I found the new songs in the game to be catchy, but I wouldn't consider them masterpieces.

Yoshi makes another appearance to the New Super Mario Bros. series, but sadly once you reach the end of a level you have to leave him behind. Luckily the same can not be said for the baby yoshi's. Each baby yoshi comes with its own unique power depending on color. Pink baby yoshi can be used as a hot air balloon, blue baby yoshi can trap enemies inside bubbles, and yellow baby yoshi can light up dark areas while stunning near by enemies. As long as you are not entering a ghost house or castle the baby yoshi's will follow you wherever you take them, until you lose them.

While New Super Mario Bros. U does feel similar to it's previous titles, it is able to add addition content that keeps the feeling fresh. This is the most fun I have had with a 2D Mario game in decades. I would consider this game a must own to any Wii U owner.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/07/13

Game Release: New Super Mario Bros. U (US, 11/18/12)