Review by Retrowire

"The best Mario platformer ever made?"

Super Mario 3D World is excellent. I question whether it is the best Mario platformer ever made because of it's ability to pull SO MANY elements from most every Mario masterpiece ever made and combine it into this gorgeous package. This game is a must have for any Wii U owner, Mario fan or not. And if you are not a fan, this game just might make you one.

I swear to you, (At this time of writing) there will be no better looking game in your Wii U collection. (Remember, realistic graphics does not always equal superior visuals.) This is truly a 60 fps 1080p upscaled beauty. 720p? 1080p? Who cares. This 720p resolution suits the colorful, organic world of Sprixie Kingdom just wonderfully. It looks TERRIFIC on a 1080p television. You do notice the smoothness of 60 fps and it just feels like you got more than your money's worth. Thanks for the quality Nintendo.

Every level is eye candy. Just sit back and enjoy.

GAMEPLAY: 9.5/10

I cut .5 off the score because there is one issue I have with multiplayer mode. One thing that makes things a bit difficult is the fact that your run button is the same button that picks up your co op allies so you may accidentally pick up a teammate at inconvenient times. You also cannot put the teammate down gently, you are forced to always throw them. So if you accidentally pick up an ally on a narrow bridge or a moving platform, you'll have no choice but to hold them against their will, or throw them into the abyss.

One must also be extra careful with their cat pouncing jump as you cannot cancel it once you've began it. So it's easy to launch yourself off of a level.

These are the only things that affect gameplay. As everything else is perfect. Silky smooth. And these issues can be avoided with practice.

There are tons of new powerups as well, and they are all a treat to use.

I heard this on the forums, "Is the cat suit overpowered?" It certainly is not. It's got it's weaknesses so don't worry, you'll still have a challenge when using it in the game. You can climb walls only for a limited amount of time, so while a cat in real life is probably the ultimate platforming creature, it's abilities in Super Mario 3D World will only get you so far, which is a good thing.

AUDIO 10/10

The music is joyous, vibrant and happy. It's absolutely gorgeous to hear. There's also quite the variety of moods throughout the entirety of the game so it's got variety for your ears.

So far, SO VERY GOOD. This game is fantastic. It really does perfect the multiplayer co op Mario recipe and I prefer it MUCH MORE than the New Super Mario Bros series. Way to go Nintendo, this may become my favorite Mario game of all time. Seriously.

Reviewer's Rating:   5.0 - Flawless

Originally Posted: 11/25/13

Game Release: Super Mario 3D World (US, 11/22/13)

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.