Review by Flame060

"Whoo, Ah, Wah-hah!"

Super Mario Galaxy is something for everyone. If you have played a Mario game in the past, you'll enjoy it. Anything from Super Mario Bros, to Super Mario World, to Mario 64 and Sunshine! And for those who are too young to remember, or to have played, or for those too old and just picking out a game for the family. Or maybe those new to gaming altogether, this is an incredibly enjoyable fantasy game. The classic persona of Mario, set into a world of worlds, a galaxy of galaxies. Where there's less edges to fall off of, and so much more to explore. Something that a a small child, to that rebellious teenager, to a parent or single adult can enjoy. Nobody hates Mario (even us Sonic fans), and his games never seem to get old. And with the Wiis selection of games, this still somehow manages to come atop again. Nintendo knows that their mascot demands quality, and they don't spare it.

The concept behind Super Mario Galaxy reminds me of what is possibly my favourite game of all time, Sonic Adventure 2. In one of the levels, Rouge the Bat travels to small planets with their own gravitational pull. It was quite an interesting concept, but rather poorly executed (hello southern hemosphere). Basically, the story in Super Mario Galaxy is that Mario yet again needs to rescue Princess Peach, who was kidnapped to outer space via King Bowsers airships (with a shoutout to Super Mario Bros. 3 on that part). Mario tries to rescue her, bust is thrown off by a Magikoopa (memories of Super Mario World and Super Mario RPG now) and is recovered, along with some Toads on the Star Observatory. This is basically the castle from Mario 64. You have access to multiple galaxies, within each are numerous levels, consisting of many planets, with tons of powerups and stars to collect.

The controls are very similar to Mario 64's controls, and all the jumps from it are back. You can also spin to stun or break things, as well as use the pointer to collect star bits. A second player can also help you out by collecting star bits and shooting them at things. Star bits, as the name implies, are bits of fallen stars, used for many things. Stunning enemies, feeding stars, and every 50 star bits gives you a 1-up. Interesting concept, but 50 star bits are a tad easy to collect, ending you up with many lives. I don't think I've ever seen the game over screen. Through the game, you'll be in space, flying from planet to planet, unable to jump off the planet yourself, due to gravity. However, some interesting concepts make that untrue at times, like when two planets are close enough to each other. Also, the game features 2D scrolling levels, where you will usually come across gravity walls, sending you to the top or bottom (Sonic & Knuckles style).

In all the game is visually stunning and one of the best on the Wii. The controls and the fluidity of the game are top notch. And with a nice twist at the end for replay value (I wont spoil that part), the game is worth it's weight in gold. Stargold even. I honestly see very little to nothing in this game that I don't like. So I don't do this often, but I'll be giving this game a perfect score of 10/10.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/14/07

Game Release: Super Mario Galaxy (US, 11/12/07)

Would you recommend this Review? Yes No
Add Comment No Comment
Comments are sent anonymously - 140 character max.