Review by Upgraded-Form

"Super Mario Galaxy truly is out of this world."

Face it. Games will never be perfect. They do not deserve a 10/10. Of course, the score showed next to this review is merely rounded up, but whatever. Games can, however, get close to perfection. Super Mario Galaxy is a prime example in this case. This game has everything. Gameplay, graphics, design, sound. Everything. There's very little wrong with it. It is arguably the best Mario game made so far. Sunshine was a little off, but of course, it was still a very good game. It just wasn't what Mario fans were asking for. The three 2D games and the three 3D games can be compared easily.

Super Mario Bros. was the first game. It set out the concept, and was incredibly revolutionary for its time. Super Mario 64 did the same. Super Mario Bros. 2 was that critically acclaimed, but some people were disappointing. It wasn't even the actual sequel. It was ported to America as a sequel with Mario characters replacing the original ones. Similar to Super Mario Sunshine (except, this was an actual sequel). Super Mario Bros. 3 was the most highly critically acclaimed of the three, and overall, the most fans had preferred this game over the other three. The same can be said for Super Mario Galaxy.

Graphics:

Graphics...well, the Wii was never about graphics, right? Wrong. But I'm not talking about polygons. I'm talking about visual backgrounds and artistic design. Simply put, this game is beautiful. Watching videos on the computer is completely different than actually watching it on your television set. The backgrounds in this game are beautiful, and the textures and designs are also very colorful. Of course, we can obviously tell that this game is more powerful than Super Mario Sunshine in terms of polygons, but that's pretty much a given. When you put this game in you Wii and start playing it, you will say "Wow." Just like what Iwata said. It's that good, and I don't think I've seen any Wii game reach this level. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption comes close, but Super Mario Galaxy just takes the lead, and I'm sure there's more to the Wii than what we have been shown with this game. Super Mario Galaxy not only gives itself a good name with the graphics, but the Wii itself. 9.9/10.

Gameplay:

What more can I say? It's very, very fun and addicting. It uses the WiiMote perfectly and doesn't abuse the Motion Sensor. Platforming has occasionally taken place in outer space, but Super Mario Galaxy is the most successful of them all. It's not just on small planets. There are indeed large landmasses, so I don't think you'll have to worry about that. Co-Op mode is also very fun for having a family member or a friend who's a Casual Gamer. But regardless, it makes things much easier. Despite that, it's still very fun to play with someone else at the same time in this Mario game. The boss battles are also more unique this time around. You will not be disappointed with the Bowser battles this time. Trust me. The only thing annoying as that playing as Mario upside-down is a bit annoying at times. 9.7/10.

Sound:

Another incredible aspect of the game. The Music. My God, this probably has some of the best music in any game. I can also safely say that I am glad Nintendo orchestrated it this time around. It's amazing. Some songs can be a bit bland, but at other times, they can very epic. And voice actors were implemented, but they weren't given full dialog roles. I'd say that's a very good way to keep it now. In Twilight Princess, there were times at which I felt a little claustrophobic because everyone was speaking in text bubbles. Too much voices is bad, and too little voices is also bad. This game has managed to find it's way in the middle and balance it out. The sound effects also stay true to the predecessors. They may sound a bit different, such as the coin "ching", but that most certainly does not harm the game in any way. 9.5/10.

Story:

Seriously, there isn't much to expect in this category when talking about a Mario game. Bowser kidnaps the princess as usual. Of course, in this case, it's different, as there's a hundred-year-festival that's going on. Mario wants to go visit Peach, and Bowser rips her castle out of the ground and into outer space. Mario, still on the castle, is attacked by a generic Magikoopa (Trust me, folks. As much as it pains me to say it, it is not Kamek). Mario then finds himself on a planet with three bunnies that you must catch. Blah, blah, blah, and then we meet up with Rosalina, the "mama" of those living stars you see. She has a story of her own, but it's irrelevant to the main plot, which is disappointing as it could've helped the story significantly. I guess in a way you could call it interesting, but the way it's presented is like a children's book (it's actually found IN a book that seems to be a children's book). Regardless of that, it's nothing special, as Mario games have always been like this. 7/10.

Design:

Simply put, this game is very similar to the previous games. It's moreso a mixture of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Bros. 3 (or Super Mario World, whichever you prefer). It's much more linear in this case than the last two 3D games. But what it does, is it takes the elements of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Bros. 3/Super Mario World, and mixes them into one 3D game. It's like Super Mario 64 in the sense that it has a central hub (in this case, the Observatory), and the 120 stars to collect. It is similar to the 2D games because it is much more linear than Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine. That's definitely not a bad thing. Super Mario Galaxy really is able to blend the elements of the 2D games and the 3D games, and come up with a great result. However, each galaxy has three default stars that you can get, unlike any Mario game from before. More stars will appear in a galaxy when Prankster Comets appear. Prankster Comets come in all forms. There's the Speed Comet (requires you to do a speed run of a certain level), the Fast-Foe Comet (every foe is much faster than before), and much more. The life bar has also been limited to three, but you can expand this to six on some occasions. This causes the game to be very easy at some points, but very difficult at other times.The only thing disappointing is that the beginning is a tad slow, and it can be a bit tedious, turning off some gamers. 9.6/10.

Replay Value:

Of course, the Replay Value in this case is collecting all 120 stars, as it's always been in 3D Mario games. You only need sixty stars total to finish the story. The first 60 stars are easy to get, but after that, it gets much harder, and you will feel proud when you've beaten a difficult task. And this time, there's an actual reward for getting all the stars, but I'd rather not spoil it for you. Even if there wasn't a reward, you'd still want to get the 120 stars anyways. The game is that fun, and you'll definitely find yourself playing it over and over again. 9.5/10

Summary:

Overall, this game is incredible. Like Gametrailers said, it truly has revived the genre of platforming. It's the best Wii game out there, and even if you don't have that many platforming games, I would highly recommend this game. If you are into platforming, then you shouldn't even be reading this review. Get it. Now.

Average Score: 9.9/10.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/20/07

Game Release: Super Mario Galaxy (US, 11/12/07)