Review by FratBoyNinja

"A Game That Proves That Mario's Platforming Skills Are Still King"

After ten long years of waiting the awaited succesor to the masterpiece Super Mario 64 has finally arrived. How does it fare against the other games? Well in my opinion, it's one of the best, if not the best mario game out there. The varied levels that constantly surprise you and test your platforming skills constantly bring back lod memories while crating new.

The story is nearly the same as any other mario game. Bowser is yet again stealing Peach and it's your job to save her. However, Bowser launches you into space and you are saved by a mysterious woman named Rosalina. She takes care of all the baby stars in the universe until they are big enough to grow into planets and galaxys and such. Backstory is provided later on in the game but it really isn't that interesting or even detailed for that matter.
While I give extra points to Nintendo for trying to seperate this story from the other Mario titles by making it more inventive it's just a little bit too shallow for it to reach that level. It's decent for me.

While most people say the Wii is graphically inferior to other systems, this game is actually quite stunning. The environments are varied, the character models and textures are pretty detailed, and the game runs without any hitches at 30FPS (frames per second). One minor flaw however, is when you look close up, the textures are actually extremely muddy and are covered by shading. Still, most people either won't notice or won't care.

The soundtrack for this game is masterful. While at first I thought orchestrated music wouldn't fit a mario game at first, the music fits perfectly with the levels and the same tracks aren't repeated over and over. Bringing back old tunes in orchestrated form is also a nice nostalgic touch. Still no voice acting though, other than "It's a-me! Mario" but it didn't work that well in Metroid so I doubt it would work well in Mario.
So, Nintendo, can we have a orchestrated soundtrack for Zelda now?
Please?

Here's the real part of the review now. The game is very much like Super Mario 64, which is a very, very good thing. You have a hub world, with 6-8 hub worlds. Each hub world has about five galaxys. Each galaxy has 3-8 stars to collect, depending on how many Prankster Comets (more on those later) there are in the level Galaxies are unlocked by collecting more stars. When you collect enough stars, you'll unlock a level where you'll have to fight either Bowser or Bowser Jr. Completing thes levels earns you a grand star, which unlocks another hub world. You get a star by completing objectives, which are normally either platforming objectives or by fighting a boss. What makes these levels so great though, is that they are so varied and fresh while still bringing back old memories. One minute you'll be trying to dismantle a toy bwoser and the next you'll be exploring a genius fire/ice combined level. The whole space factor also changes things too. Jumping into a planets area will make you be pulled in by it's gravitational pull. Trying newthings with te gravity will take you hours, and it would take WAY too long to explain all the strategies so I won't
Now onto Prankster Comets. Prankster Comets are these extra missions that have you do certain things, such as complete a mission without getting hurt, or race a shadow of yourself. While they're pretty fun for awhile, some of them are more frustrating then fun.
Also noted, the new suit power ups you get, are more cumbersome them fun. A few even actually make the levels LESS fun.
The motion sensing in this thankfully not overused in this game. You use the Wii-mote to collect little star bits by pointing at them. These star bits can be fired at enemies to stun them or you can feed them to a hungry star to unlock a bonus level. You also use it to grab on to blue bubble stars on occasion.
It should also be noted that there is a two player mode, but the second player basically collects all the star bits and that, in my opinion, is no fun. I give credit for them trying something new though.
Definitley one of the best platforming experience ever.

Lasting Appeal: 9/10

While you only need sixty stars to complete the game, you'll certaintly want to go and get more. Collecting all 120 is no small feat, and doing so unlocks something special that I don't wanna spoil.

Pros and Cons

+ Great graphics
+ Gameplay that is absolutley unparralleled in Platforming
+ Fantastic fun and varied levels
+ Great Lasting Appeal
+ An added Co-Op mode

- Story could have been a little more fleshed out
- Suits hamper the game rather than hurt it
- Co- Op mode isn't that fun

This game is fantastic. It's my personal Game of The Year. If you own a Wii you owe it yourself to get this game.
A True Masterpiece

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/03/08

Game Release: Super Mario Galaxy (US, 11/12/07)