Review by nivekeryas

"Dunno...just didn't seem to impress me that much..."

Overview:

SMG was certainly a highly anticipated game; I can't exactly see why. While it is a new idea, Super Mario Galaxy just didn't seem to grab me by the hook. I kept playing to see if it would get better, but it was just too darn repetitive.

As I already said, SMG (Super Mario Galaxy) does have a new, er, flair, per say, but was just too repetitive for me. While the jumping from planet to planet was fun, and the boss battles made you think on your feet, going back and forth over and over again to get the stars, especially when there wasn't really anything to make it more interesting, wasn't. SMG is also WAY too easy. Granted, it is for the Wii, and is rated "E", but I thought Nintendo would try and make it a tad more difficult for the gamers who want a Mario challenge. The levels were easy and loooooonnnggg, making it very boring to do things that present no challenge whatsoever for extended periods of time. It's like doing First Grade math ALL DAY LONG.

Now, SMGs' graphics are terrific. I really do love them. If you've ever played RE4, and those graphics are very nice, I'd have to rate SMG on a higher graphic scale than RE4, MUCH higher. Not all that much to say here.

Audio: 9/10

While SMG's audio sounds wonderful, and makes you want to run off into the thick of battle, it is also a tad repetitive. Unlike other games, Super Mario Galaxy's audio doesn't really present any type, or instill any type, of mood. It was just sort of "GO! GO! GO! FIGHT!" music, never "Oh ****, what's about to happen?" kind of music or "*tear*" pretty music. That's Mario for you I suppose.

Storyline: 7/10

This may come as a shock to you....but....PEACH GETS KIDNAPPED BY BOWSER. Not really any different than any other Mario games. Other than that, it does evolve into a better storyline than those of previous games. Having a "Galaxy" Flair adds two things. 1) It shows that the IS another world out there besides what Nintendo invented, and 2) BIG WORLDS. The endlessness while looking over a planet is shocking. So, sort of "meh" Story.

Replayability: 4/10

I really never saw myself -- once I got to past the first Bowser thing -- ever playing this game more than twice. I'm going through again, to try out some stuff, but I don't think I'll pick SMG back up afterwards.

Value vs. Money: 3/10

I really don't suggest buying this game. Rent it, then see if you are one of the few people who fall in love with it. Luckily, I bought it when it was on sale, not for the usual $50; I can't say I even think THAT was a fair price. Really, rent SMG.

Super Mario Galaxy did present a new idea, and a new mission (sort of), but, as it has been in the past, WAY too repetitive. Graphics, are good, and any child under the age of 10 would absolutely LOVE this game (for parents) but otherwise, don't bother buying SMG. Rent it.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 01/03/08

Game Release: Super Mario Galaxy (US, 11/12/07)