Review by Cenedarprime

"Mushroom 18 to tower, we have liftoff, maximum momentum attainted. Next stop, Comet Observatory!"

Every once in a while, a game comes into every gamer's life that reminds he or she why they love playing video games so much. And for me at least, Super Mario Galaxy is one of those games. I haven't enjoyed or been so fully engrossed in a game since, well, Super Mario 64. Everything about this game is spot on perfection to me.

GAMEPLAY:

So how does the gameplay of this outing compare to Mario's previous adventures. Well, his repertoire of moves from Super Mario 64 has returned, with a couple tweaks and additions in place. He still defies the laws of gravity and physics with his outstanding acrobatics, with an arsenal of triple jumps, wall jumps, backflips and long jumps at his disposal. And since his adventures have reached space, his gravity defying abilities do just that, defy gravity.

Your head will spin as Mario leaps from planetoid to planetoid, different gravitational forces pulling on him at all times. One minute you could be right side up, running around normally until you hit what looks like an edge, but viola, Mario flies through the air, gravity pulling him to the underside of your planet, where he can run and jump as freely as always. You'll be sideways, upside down, and flying in all directions.

This is both a blessing and a curse. Mostly a blessing as there are now a slew of gravity based puzzles that add even more depth to this huge game. The only downside would be that if you get motion sick easily, this might not be the game for you. But overall, the gameplay is simple and fun to pick up and play, a hallmark of Mario's legacy. My one gripe is that I still feel there could've been more missions, and even more galaxies to explore.

9/10

GRAPHICS/PRESENTATION:

This is a very pretty game. Mario is as round and stout as ever, his short little form bouncing all around space, which has been animated vividly with color and style. Environments are varied, from frozen, snowy peaks to entire planets of hot, red molten lava. And let me tell you folks, there is nothing quite as enjoyable as sending Mario through one of the many Launch Stars in the game, seeing him fly like a comet through open space, leaving a sparkling trail of space dust behind him. Enemies are colorful and varied, from buzzing bugs to Piranha Plants to giant burrowing moles and space alien Goombas. Mario has some new outfits this time around, each one giving him new abilities as well as a snazzy new look. My personal favorites would be the Ice Flower, turning him into a blue, shimmering translucent ice man that can walk, skate, even wall jump off of water and waterfalls, and the Flight Star, a goodie unlocked near the end of the game that gives Mario a cool black and red outfit and the power of free flight.

From the fires of Bowser's stages to the whipping winds of Gusty Garden and the buzzing bees of the Honeyhive Galaxy, this game looks clean, colorful, and wonderfully imaginative and detailed.

10/10

MUSIC/SOUND:

Now, this is easily one of my favorite aspects of this game. I never before imagined that having fully orchestrated music would add so much to a Mario title. But from the beautiful, lighthearted theme of the Comet Observatory, to the grandiose, triumphant tunes of the Good Egg and Gusty Garden Galaxies, the music in this game is a wonderful blend of real orchestra and synthesized sounds that really capture the essence of a Mario title. I love the remixes made of some the classic Mario themes as well.

Mario, Bowser, Peach, and others return with their occasional spoken words and assorted sounds that they always have made. Don't expect to hear much actual dialogue, as the words are usually in subtitles on the bottom of the screen. But Mario's assorted whoops, grunts, and cheers are all here and all sounding wonderful. So I have no complaints.

10/10

REPLAY VALUE:

Even after you beat the final encounter with Bowser the first time, there is still plenty to do in this game. For example, after beating the final level once, you open up a dozen or so "Purple Coin" missions for any remaining stars (not to mention a chance to pick up any you might not have grabbed before facing the brute). And if you beat Bowser again with all 120 stars in tow, you unlock the chance to play through as Luigi, who jumps higher but is harder to stop when running. Beat the game with Luigi with all 120 stars? You'll just have to see for yourself. While there isn't a HUGE amount of replay value here, it is enough to still draw you into the game longer and definitely feel good.

9/10

Score Recap:
Gameplay- 9
Graphics/Presentation- 10
Music/Sound- 10
Replay value- 9

FINAL SCORE- 9/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/18/08

Game Release: Super Mario Galaxy (US, 11/12/07)