Review by megarockexe

"One turns to the stars when it comes the the best Mario game of its kind"

The game stars out seemingly as the rest of the Mario games. Right from the start the story begins to unfold itself. Sure, Princess Peach is kidnapped again, but this time it's more exciting!

Here are my ratings based on my full experience with the game.

The game's structure has been changed. I must admit, the gameplay is truly unique. Generic platformers have been done, but the planetary idea gave the game an interesting twist. Wrapping around planets and gaining abilities made the game feel better, even if limited abilities are still around. In terms of controls, I liked the idea of laying with two controllers. I've never done it before, but it works nicely. My only problems were that I found it hard to navigate certain areas of the game that required the use of the sensor bar. Hey, the games' controls are okay, I just had a hard time on it sometimes.

Most say the story is the same, but I thought it felt different, better, and definitely more refined. The story throughout the game felt more deep than just, "Peach is kidnapped! Save her!". The wide array of story characters and the way the plot advanced just made the story stand out more. You meet more people, you're more involved, it makes the story structure feel more complete. More boss characters make the game seem like you have more antagonists ahead. There is more to it than before. Besides, Lumas made a nice addition to the story and of the game.

Graphics/Sound: 10/10
This has to be the best part to the whole game. The game's graphics are really impressive. In this game, Mario has a white highlight to him more visible than that of regular characters. He stood out more and seems more well textured than in previous games. The animations are nice and smooth. The game is graphical masterpiece that deserve not to be left out. I should mention that I played with Adapter Cables. The game is eye candy that offers a much better 3D perspective of characters, in the way they were meant to be seen.

The game's sounds and music are a smash hit, too. Sounds can't go toofar but they are definitely more impressive. I noticed that at Such rich, pure sounds make the game feel more real. I can't seem a major flaw with this.
The game's music is a whole other thing. I believe this game's music is orchestrated. Never before has such a classic array of Mario tunes been remixed to a stellar performance as found in this game. If you've played other Mario games, or the games before this, you'll know what I mean. Still, most of the music from this game felt like it came from other same series (Zelda games, Star Fox games), which I felt gave it an interesting touch. The entire track is unique to itself and where it is used. It's still Super Mario Galaxy to me.

Playtime/Replayability: 8/10
This game takes a nice long while to complete since most stars are "go here, then do this" now. It can be too easy, so you might finish it faster, but I prefer to play the game slow and with a pace. After you've beaten the game, you'll be surprised at how much you can still do. No, I'm not talking about collecting 100 coins. The game gets better at the end. And just when you think it's over, the game keeps on going. I found myself playing the game a second time even. The game mechanisms are fun and worth trying again.

My Recommendation: Looking for a good Wii game, pick this up. This is simply the best 1-2 player game out for the Wii yet! It surpasses its preceding games and lives up to it.

Final Score: 9/10
Buy it, you'll regret renting it! And if you've got a second control and player, the game gets even better!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/23/08

Game Release: Super Mario Galaxy (US, 11/12/07)