Review by MarioBros91

"Super Mario Galaxy - Most overrated game of the year?"

Overview

Super Mario Galaxy - When this game was first announced, fans were overjoyed. Mario fans rejoiced, and looked toward the game, expecting it to be a flawless, perfect sequel to Super Mario 64 that "didn't suck like Sunshine." What we got was this: Super Mario Galaxy, a half-baked platformer that involved running around different planets within many galaxies, accomplishing easy, meager tasks. Honestly, it was everything Super Mario 64 was not. The controls were annoying, even infuriating at some points. Other times, the camera would screw up due to the course of gravity of the planets. Then, the galaxies themselves had, at the most, three main stars to get, and maybe one or two secrets stars. I would have preferred what Super Mario 64 had done; fifteen main courses, with 6 or so stars. Instead, they screwed it up even further with around 40-45 galaxies with three stars in each. That's a step back, methinks.

What may have been worse than the game itself, the actual story. Basically, a comet passes over the Mushroom Kingdom, dropping star bits, while people collect them. Then, out of nowhere, Bowser shows up and kidnaps Princess Peach, and pulls a Paper Mario, lifting the castle away. Mario is on, but gets knocked off and somehow ends up miles away, on a small planet inhabited by bunnies. He catches the bunnies, and goes to the new character who may or may not be a princess, Rosalina. Then he goes around getting Power Stars to power the spaceship-hub, so he can go to the center of the universe to rescue Peach and knock Bowser into a giant star. That causes a supermassive black hole, which kills everyone. Then, all the Lumas recreate the entire universe or something, and... that's it. I don't get it, do you? D:

Gameplay is simple. Simple, simple, simple. You go around, jumping on crap and spinning into stuff. That's the premise of the whole game. You can also press B to shoot Star Bits, which is a waste because they do nothing. They can stun people, but that's about it. Then, there's co-op mode, which is... really, pointless. A second player can help you by shooting star bits, and also making you jump, which can make you jump off cliffs easily. Then, there's the gimmicks like manta-surfing (which is HARD), bubbles (also wild to control), and balls (lolballs), among others. It's actually not all that creative, and it's pretty limited. Diving was taken out, so now, B shoots the aforementioned star-bits, which you feed hungry Lumas, to open up new Galaxies. You feed them, they get fat, and explode into Galaxies. Then, there's the power-ups that make no sense whatsoever. HAY GAIZ MAREOOH TURNZ INTO A BEE LOL. Also, MARIO DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO SPIN UNTIL ROSALINA TEACHES HIM. D:

Music: 9/10
Now we finally have something GOOD about the game; the music. Anyone who's played the game knows how epic the music is. My personal favorite is Toy Time's music and Battlerock's music. The music always goes with the environment you're playing in, be it a creepy underwater stage, the peaceful theme of Space Junk Galaxy, Battlerock Galaxy's majestic fighting theme, and so on. Not much else to say, other than it's epic.

The graphics, they aren't that bad. They're not good, but not bad either.
...that's really all I have to say about that. :/

Final Score: 6/10
Super Mario Galaxy was nothing that Super Mario 64 was. I got tired of it in a week, sadly. I don't see what fans of Galaxy see in it, at all. There's no replay value, other than the chance to play the game as Luigi, which is the ONLY reward you get. The Galaxies were too short, I would have preferred a few big galaxies over many tiny galaxies. Overall, Super Mario Galaxy was a decent game, but in actuality, it doesn't live up to the 3D Mario series in my eyes.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 02/19/08

Game Release: Super Mario Galaxy (US, 11/12/07)