Review by legalystupid

"Where no meatball has gone before."

Super Mario Galaxy is the newest in the 3D Mario series, sending the world famous Plumber and Italian Stereo-type into the final frontier. But unlike Caption Janeway he doesn't get lost when he's flung millions of light years from home suddenly by a subspace sling shot and instead of fighting the Borg and Hirogen, Mario is tasked with much greater mission such as fighting the evil intergalactic King Bowser (again) and his minions, who he seems to have picked up a few aliens in his R'epertoire including a goomba/octork hybrid from Hyrule and robots that bear striking resemblance to a certain North Korean dictator, and collecting Stars (again).

Of course the biggest selling points of the game Nintendo is riding on are: A. It stars Mario and B. Everyone loves Mario. I'm not saying this is a bad game, in fact Mario Galaxy is one of the best games available for the Wii. Just not the best.

The story so far...

Mario receives an invitation from Princess Peach for a centennial festival where the toads go out and gather falling stars that are dropped from a comet passing by the Mushroom Kingdom to turn into Power Stars. On your way to the castle Bowser attacks (Surprise, surprise.) and kidnaps Peach and her castle with his usual flying ships and... UFOs? Mario attempts to confront Bowser while hanging on the ledge of the castle until he's knocked off by one of the Koopa underlings. Sent flying back Mario is saved from a sub-orbital drop by a friendly star like creature called a Luma. The Lumas take you to their mother, Rosalina; whom is the spitting image of Princess Peach, except she dresses in a blue robe, has a funny hair style and carries a wand. She tasks you with recovering the Stars (again with collecting stars, why not canolli or expensive shoes?) that powers her spaceship/observatory that turns out to be the comet that the toads were celebrating and rescue her adoptive children, the Lumas, from Bowser who wishes to use the Star's energy to create a new galaxy for him self to rule over and with Peach as his Queen.

Unless you're suffering from chronic obliviousness then you are aware that Mario is back, and that usually means two things. Peach is going to be kidnapped and you have to rescue her. The game is basically Super Mario 64 meets the storybook "The Little Prince." Mario runs, jumps and flys around much the same as Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine, but his ability to punch and break dance had been replaced by the ability to spin around really fast and smash stuff with his fist and being able to shoot star crystals with the Wiimote. But now the levels are turned into little comet clusters and asteriod chunks that he must navigate with the help of the Caretaker-I mean Lumas (Star Trek joke) to slingshot him when Mario Is unable to otherwise break orbit by his remarkable jumping abilty.

I found the level design to be bright, vibrant and quirky, a refreshing change to the ultra-realism I'm subjected to as a PC gamer. They really did their best with the Wii's graphical limitations compared to the 360 and PS3. Some times the "Worlds" are either tiny little clusters of space debris and other times they're big enough for be considered classic Mario stages. I played on a standard definition set and fund everything to look great and colorful, but when played on a HD TV you are subjected to anti-aliasing problems. Anymore than that, I cannot say since I don't own a HD television. (I write these reviews for free you know.)

Mario Galaxy is a platformer and navigating Mario is easy... Usually. Mario Galaxy controls well but sometimes when you're running around the underside of a planet the size of a semi the camera angle and point of view kind of messes with you. You're controlling Mario up-side-down and it's difficult to gauge how to control some times. There is also limited control over the camera so you can't do much to change it. Also the Wiimote tracking isn't as great as I'd like it to be. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess had setting to change how your distance and TV size would affect the Wiimote tracking. Another gripe was the game was just too easy. Maybe I'm just a better gamer than when I was young or perhaps it was dumbed down too much.

But all in all the game's fun outweighed my complaint and offers great replay value with a special unlockable character that adds the challenge I thought was missing the first time through. If you own a Wii or plan to at some point then you can do no wrong with Mario Galaxy.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/07/08

Game Release: Super Mario Galaxy (US, 11/12/07)