Review by Cubular

"Super Mario Galaxy is not only an amazing game in its own right, but shows what Nintendo can really do."

Here is the killer app for the Wii, Super Mario Galaxy. My friends have been telling me over and over to be playing this game and how awesome it is. So being the cheapskate that I am, I borrowed it off my friend (instead of buying it, haha Nintendo!) and started. After beating and getting all 120 stars, is this game worth buying? Does it live to the standards of the main Mario series? The answer is: YES!

Gameplay: Sure, the graphics are amazing and there's tons of Mario fan service in Super Mario Galaxy but the gameplay is the reason why you're playing. SMG is so much fun, even if you haven't play Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine. The objective is pretty much the same: you go and collect stars by completing a task or finding it. It involves jumping, attacking, solving puzzles and much more to getting stars. Only difference now is that gravity plays a huge role in SMG. You will be floating around and moving upside down which is so awesome. I know when I was about 10 stars into the game, I was addicted to getting all 120 stars. I'd spend at least 3 hours everyday trying to get them all. The level design in SMG is simply amazing. One of the best things about SMG is the difficulty level. This game is not easy it is really challenging, but it's never to the point that it's frustrating. I know when I played and died trying to get a star, I never got to the point where I was frustrated. Overall, near perfect gameplay which is what Mario games are all about.

9.5/10

Graphics: Really one of the best for the Wii. While the Wii is known for having some of the worst graphics this generation, Super Mario Galaxy seems to be an exception. The characters and worlds are colourful, even Bowser himself is pretty detailed!

9.0/10

Sound: Orchestrated tracks, remixes, and great sound design make SMG a great game to hear. If you're a Mario fan, this will be your dream come true. You will hear remixes from older Mario games such as Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64. SMG also has its own unique soundtrack that is catchy and well done. One thing I love is that the music will change according to what's happening gameplay. So if you're rolling on a ball and going fast, the music will speed up and slow down accordingly. Very professional. The sound effects are nothing too spectacular, but you'll enjoy the bubbly sounds of getting power stars and cute Lumas.

9.5/10

Control: When I first played it, Super Mario Galaxy was a bit awkward to control. However, it didn't take me long to get used to it and now it feels natural. Running, jumping, somersaulting and grabbing star bits have never felt easier. One complaint that I have is that when you're on top of the ball and the controls are totally dependent on the Wii remote sensor. Sometimes the sensor bar doesn't pick up what you're doing and you end up dying, which sucks. Other than that, flawless controls.

9.0/10

Value: If you're a hardcore Mario fan and plan on getting all the stars, this game is a definite must buy for you. If you just want to try it and see how it is, or just want to beat the game without getting all the stars, a rent is a possible option. However, you definitely need to try out this game regardless.

9.5/10

PRO: Difficulty level is perfect
PRO: Great game design and sound mechanics
PRO: Incredibly fun and addictive
PRO: Some of the best graphics for the Wii
PRO: Amazing soundtrack

CON: Controls can be a bit frustrating at times
CON: Little replay value

Overall, I give Super Mario Galaxy a 9.0/10.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/05/08

Game Release: Super Mario Galaxy (US, 11/12/07)