Review by chickenman77

"Fun, yet not what I thought it would be."

Super Mario Galaxy is another super mario game from Nintendo. I love to play the super mario games, but I just couldn't exactly get into this game. Sure I went decently far into this game, but it just wasn't what I wanted for $52. As usual for the storyline, the princess gets captured by who other then Bowser! It is all up to Mario yet again to save the princess. Wait, I have seen this somewhere. I wonder where.

Since this game is on the Wii, the controls had to be more Wii friendly. And by that I mean have to move the Wiimote to do something or use the nun chuck to move. The controls were great for the Wii though. Sure Mario didn't always spin when I shook the Wiimote, but other than that, it was fine. But controls aren't everything. The game play was Ok, but really this was where I couldn't get into it. After looking at the other 3D Mario games, the controls and game play were simple. But in Galaxy, I found it hard. How? Just having to go to galaxies and the planets in them. The game made it hard to see what you were doing and very difficult to control Mario if you think you are going one but not the other. It is much easier to play a game and much better to play if you can see. And not knowing which direction you are going is very confusing and could ultimately end the game for. See, you go on the planets, but you walk around them, but rather than it following you, you are basically just looking at the planet and trying to maneuver around it without seeing. It does follow you though, but not like how I described it should have to make it easier, the game just basically circles the planet in what ever direction you are going on, and it still is hard to see. That also makes fighting people harder. If it is hard to see and know what direction you are going, it might be difficult to defeat enemies. But defeating enemies is easy, which I give it to them for that. Just the whole jumping around with the gravity makes it confusing as to where you will land. But not all levels are like that, which I am glad that is so. If all the levels were like that, the game would just be confusing.

Overall, the only bad part of this game is just seeing the game and the difficulty of knowing where you are. Of course that could be a bad thing, but overall, for a Wii game, Nintendo did a pretty good job for Super Mario. The graphics and sound were great, and this time the storyline had a lot more depth into it rather than just running around and saving the princess. A good 7/10 describes this game and I wish it could have been a little bit better.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/17/08

Game Release: Super Mario Galaxy (US, 11/12/07)