Review by DanLionheart

"The Best Game Ever."

Super Mario Galaxy was one of the longest hyped and anticipated Wii games since before the Wii even hit homes. Luckily, it lived up to and possibly even surpassed all of the excitement surrounding it. The game comes equipped with the same refined platforming engine from Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine, but with the galaxy theme it brings to the table some interesting concepts and amazing level design as you traverse from planet to planet, galaxy to galaxy collecting power stars. The motion controls aren't heavy and the one you'll use most is a simple flick to spin, which is relatively smooth, responsive, and easy to use. There's 120 power stars to collect as well as an additional amount after you've gotten them all with Mario.

The camera has a few problems. Often underwater or in more cluttered stages you'll be distorted for a few moments. I wouldn't compare it to Kingdom Hearts or Ninja Gaiden II (to which I've actually gotten dizzy with both), but it's definitely got one minor flaw in that respect. The two player mode is interesting. I find it particularly useful when the second player is a more casual gamer. For instance, it would be best suited to hand that second control to your baby brother, girlfriend, or mom if they want to tag along. Basically, one player controls Mario and the other controls a cursor. With the cursor they can make Mario jump, spin attack, or combine with the first player for a super high jump. However I find there needing to be a lot of communication with this as it can get sloppy if one person is doing something and the other just tries chiming in. While it's original, the most use for it is assisting more casual players or letting more casual players help with the little things like holding enemies or collecting star bits.

The game is a visual masterpiece, with very well done lighting effects and shading, and it's just an incredible amount of fun. The main thing I noticed as I played through Super Mario Galaxy from front to back was that all of the levels felt like something I wouldn't mind doing again, which comes in handy later when you're on your second playthrough. The only real problem is the swimming controls. At times they feel slow, boring, and can bring out the majority of flaws in the camera. Thankfully, you don't HAVE to do any underwater levels if you don't want to. Other than those knicks and knacks, Super Mario Galaxy brings the most in terms of visuals, sound, level design, and fun that any game could hope for. Speaking of the level design, I must say that this is easily the most brilliant and best level design, not only in the platform genre, but any game I've ever seen before. Okay, so the game isn't above standard difficulty, it's got camera issues, and an odd multiplayer mode. It still doesn't effect quality thoroughly enough. This accomplishes so much at once. It is the Wii game, it is the Mario game, and yes, it is simply the best game ever created.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/11/08

Game Release: Super Mario Galaxy (US, 11/12/07)