Review by barky13

"Mario Galaxy is one of the best games of this generation"

When I first heard about Super Mario Galaxy I couldn't help getting my hopes up. As I put it in to my wii I was dreading it. I thought there was no way it could live up to my expectations. I was wrong.

I've never played such incredible levels. The gravity idea is great fun and I love going through levels finding tricks and shortcuts. There isn't really anything else I can say about the gameplay other than some levels could do with a bit more variety. Putting speed runs and making you fight bosses multiple times seems quite lazy. The motion controls are fun and not overused (you'll use them to attack and for a few mini levels) and the controls themselves are nice and smooth. The new powerups are great fun as well.

Overall the story isn't that good. For a Mario game it's brilliant. Not much happens during the game until the end where a great (yet confusing cutscene) ends the game. However the real story comes from the library. During the game you can go in to the library and one of the characters (Rosalina) will read a story about her childhood. As you collect more power stars you unlock more chapters.

Graphics and Design: 9/10

Wow. This game shows off what the wii can do. The levels aren't that detailed but they work better that way. The game is beautiful and smooth and is the best game graphically on the wii. I've never seen Mario look so good and the rest of the game is beautiful as well.

Difficulty: 6/10

The difficulty is a big problem in this game. There are 120 stars in the game but you only need 60 to finish. 3D Mario games have been like this since the start so that less skilled players can still complete the game but this game really didn't need it. The least they should have done was make the least amount of stars 80. The game is overall extremely easy. There are some perticulary hard levels but not enough to equal things out.

Overall Score: 8/10 Super Mario Galaxy is an extraordinary game and the only problems are with the difficulty and the variety. It gave me way more than what I expected and is one of the greatest games on the wii. For once when I let my expectations get high I wasn't dissapointed.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 12/23/08

Game Release: Super Mario Galaxy (EU, 11/16/07)