Review by PhazonN

"Over-rated"

Considering Mario is one of the most successful gaming franchises of all time, you have certain expectations of any game from that franchise. Combine that with all the reviews you read, telling you it's one of the best games in existence, then that's exactly what you expect.

This game is such a disappointment, but that being said it's still an okay game. It definitely doesn't deserve the praise it gets.

Controls:

I have no idea why everyone calls them flawless. The controls on the power-ups are mostly good but some are kind of awkward to use. There's mini-game's where you use the Wiimote to control Mario, but these usually just feel like a chore and you only do it to get it over with. As for Mario, it's hard to describe. Mario doesn't just run, he kinda builds up speed in a strange way. He starts off by barely moving then he speeds up, which makes it hard to inch your way forward which you'll need to do sometimes, because of the camera.

Camera:

The controls aren't bad, but they'd be a lot better if the camera was improved. Sometimes the camera places itself in front of you, so if you need to run forward you can't tell what's in front of you and you need to take your time. Sometimes it seems to get stuck on walls and you can't change the angle at all. Sometimes it stays too low and you can't see if there's a hole in front of you until it's too late. And sometimes it just goes to a bad position for no reason that I can see. The camera isn't a consistent problem, but for the occasional time that it causes problems like this, it is annoying.

Gameplay:

Since the controls and camera are an important part of gameplay it's difficult to make light of the gameplay, which in all honesty is decent. The power-ups do what they're meant to do and the controls for them are, for the most part, alright, but the only one that is fun to use is the one where Mario can fly. The game itself is pretty easy in terms of boss fights, obstacles and figuring out what to do. 90% of a player's death's will probably be down to bad controls or bad camera. The game has it's fun moments like when it turns into a side-scroller perspective and the occasional level that you don't have to keep repeating. Speaking of which, the game gets pretty carried away with repetativeness. Sometimes you need to do the same level a bunch of times and what you do barely changes, which can be tedious and if you die, you may struggle to find motivation to carry on playing through it all again.

Graphics:

The graphics are fine for Wii. Some of the best on the Wii to be fair. Good animations and whatnot.

Sound:

Whenever I say that the music in this game is average, I always get the response "The music is orchestrated. That makes it good." or something like that. Yeah, the music is orchestrated, but it's nothing particularly special or memorable. The fact that it's orchestrated is irrelevant. The sounds effects are good. Stuff sounds like what it ought to.

Story:

There is none, which is obviously not what this game is about and it won't affect my final decision in scoring this game.

Replay Value:

Well if you get 60 stars you fight Bowser for the final time. That's as far as I got, but to my knowledge there are 120 stars to collect as Mario, then 121 stars to collect as Luigi. I'm not completely sure on this, but it's close enough. Now, considering you have to do every level to get 120 stars, which includes a lot of repeating levels is bad enough. But the fact that they want you to do absolutely everything again is one of the worst attempts at replay value that I have ever heard. There's nothing different about Luigi that I am aware of other than the fact that he can jump further.

Appeal:

The game is mostly playable, but I fail to see much appeal. If you don't have the game, then based on most reviews you might think it looks appealing, but any appeal will be short-lived while playing this game. The concept of Mario in space sounds like a 2 year old thought it up and although it does seem that effort was put into this game, there are too many flaws that prevent it from ever being a classic in my opinion.

Overall:

Controls - 7/10
Camera - 5/10
Gameplay - 6/10
Graphics - 10/10
Sound - 8/10
Story - N/A
Replay Value - 3/10
Appeal - 3/10
Overall - 6/10

Final Words:

In closing I may as well point out that anything written in this review is entirely opinion based and from the looks of the other reviews you will more than likely enjoy this game. Trust me when I say, when you have beat this game you will never want to play it again. Rent this game. You can beat it in a day or two and you can save yourself some money.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 03/09/09

Game Release: Super Mario Galaxy (EU, 11/16/07)