Review by Rakothurz

"A good game yet nothing special"

The newest game in the Super Mario franchise does it live up to the expectations of the other two(Three if you count Super Mario 64 DS) 3D Super Mario titles?
Short answer no. Long answer no.

Story - 6/10

Normal stuff, Bowser kidnaps Princess Peach Mario goes looking for her and on the way collects stars why stars? Who knows. Nothing really original yet we've been playing Mario games with the same story for how many years?

Graphic - 8/10

The graphics are great, best on the definitely best on the Wii hands down. But graphics don't make a game... or do they?

Gameplay - 5/10

The usual stuff is here, collect stars to access new worlds to get more stars to access more worlds you fight bosses along the way to get mega stars. You use the Wii-mote and Nunchuk and it works perfectly. A jumps, Z crouches, B shoots star bits that are used to stun enemies and feed little hungry miniature star thingys and you wiggle the wii-mote to spin which is your main attack. You can collect a variety of power-ups such as bee, fire, ice and so on.

The newest and main thing added to the game is...*drum roll* Gravity Physics...? Yep that's it Gravity. It's changed so it's like your in space but wait Mario can jump the same height? Somehow the only thing that is effected is you jump onto other platforms you can sometimes go underneath. This adds nothing new to the game. NOTHING! Super Mario 64 was the first in 3D, Super Mario Sunshine added F.L.U.D.D although it wasn't great it added variety yet this game added barely anything. The levels are space-like yeah so?

There are a lot of things I've left out but while I was playing the game I felt bored and when I wasn't playing it I didn't want to. I was hoping the last boss battle would be epic but it wasn't. It was the same thing I did 2 times before with barely anything new. After I finished the game I turned the Wii off and played another more interesting game like The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

I re-played it this year and enjoyed it a bit more but once I finish I wasn't interested enough to get the rest of the stars.

Verdict - Buy or Rent?

I say Rent it can be easily beaten in a weekend or even a day if your good since the difficulty isn't that high.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 06/10/09

Game Release: Super Mario Galaxy (AU, 11/29/07)