Review by Underworld009

"An amazingly good and entertaining ending to one of the greatest trilogies out there"

Over the years, Metroid games have found their way into the homes of millions of gamers. Hardcore or casual, Nintendo-fanboys or not, there's no denying that Metroid has been one of the most successful and entertaining series of all time. And of course, who could forget when Metroid shocked the world, revealing what was videogaming's first true female protagonist, Samus Aran. Traditionally, Metriod had been one of the most epic sidescrollers of all time. However, that all changed when Metroid came to the Gamecube. It was then that Nintendo created on of the greatest FPS's of that generation in Metroid Prime. It was the first Metroid to feature a 3D world, and a truly fantastic one. It also sparked what may be described as Samus's most epic adventure of all time, paving the road for its sequel, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. With new features such as transitions between light and dark worlds, it was a very good sequel to one of the great games of its time. Now, years later with the release of the Wii, Nintendo has released the final peace to the trilogy, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. And to say the least, this is truly the first great FPS on Nintendo's newest system. Long awaited and held with high expectations, Corruption doesnt fail to live up to the hype, delivering an epic story and sharp new gameplay courtesy of the Wiimote. Here's how it breaks down.

This game displays Wii graphics at its best (at least for the time being). It is evidence that just because Nintendo opted not to go "hi-def" like Sony and Microsoft, it can still produce beautiful images. The graphical detail of this game is absolutely fantastic. Cinematic cutscenes look incredibly sharp and the enemies are impressively designed and can both amaze and frighten you. Only two things prevent me from giving the graphics in this game a perfect score. First, the fact that Nintendo didn't go hi-def makes you wonder how much better this would look on the other systems. And second, I would hesitate to give any game released this early in the life of a new console a perfect 10 purely because, as we saw with the previous generation, graphics improve over the course of a generation, not just in the transition between two generations. I am positive that Nintendo has only begun to show the true graphical power of the Wii and so I know that this is not quite the best. Now, having said that, it is still an unbelievably beautiful game and it will leave you in awe.

Now sound in a game has never been one of my big stress points but people seem to care about it at least a little so I'll briefly include it. The sound is impressive to say the least. Sounds of explosions in the background make you run for your life as the beeping of the timer speeds up and you wonder how long you have until the entire planet explodes. The sounds aides the pure intensity of the game and you will find that it only further immerses you into the Metroid world.

Gameplay: 9.5/10
Now of course, the gameplay. Without a doubt the most important part of any good game. And it is also the foundation of Nintendo's new system. Wasn't Nintendo's whole idea behind the Wii was to find a way to immerse yourself in a game not through superior graphics but superior gameplay? So it wouldn't make much sense for you not to value this part of the review beyond all the others. To say the least, the gameplay in this game is phenomenal. From the moment you pick up the Wiimote and start up a new game, you feel how slick the natural control scheme is. Simple as strafing with the control stick, turning and aiming with the Wiimote sensor, jumping with "b", shooting with "a", locking on with "z". The game does everything it can to make you feel like you are a part of its universe. Even such simple tasks as turning a switch are interactive, pulling out with the Wiimote, rotating it clockwise and pushing the switch back into place by pushing the Wiimote forward. At times, you may even forget that you are not actually Samus Aran. On top of the slick controls, the response of these controls in the heat of battle is more often than not very smooth. And maybe the most pleasing part of the gameplay is the epic boss battles. To this day, few FPS's have produced more exhilerating boss fights than the Metriod Prime series. And Corruption has maybe the most thrilling of all of them, throwing you into a variety of setting and forcing you to use your entire arsenal in order to conquer them. Now, having said all of this, you are probably wondering "why not a perfect 10/10?" It really pains me not to give this game a perfect score on the gameplay, but it would be unfair to you all out there to say that this game is perfect. There are some minor frustrating aspects of the locking-on system. While it is only meant to guide you towards hitting the enemy, it is often very frustrating when you are trying to preform certain moves such as the side-dash which can only be done when you are locked-on. You keep trying to preform the action but you keep jumping, only to realize that you are no longer locked on. Now this is only minor, and the gameplay is still amazing. And over time you get more accustomed to the locking-on system and it becomes easier, but it can still be frustrating at times.

Well there you have it. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. I have no illusions when I call this the first great FPS on the Wii and it does not disappoint in any way. While it is often sad to see a saga such as Metroid Prime come to a close, you always want it to close with a bang. And with the success of this trilogy, I think it is a safe bet to say that this is not the last time that we will be able to capture Samus' adventures from "behind the visor." So in the meantime, go and buy this game without hesitation. I guarantee you will enjoy it.

Final Score: 9/10 (and it should be a 9.5-9.8 but stupid GameFaqs wont let me make fractions :-( )

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/29/07