Review by off1nthecorner

"Metroid Prime 3 - Corruption the best game on the Wii"

Introduction - Metroid Prime 3 - Corruption is the third installment in the trilogy that started with Metroid Prime for the Gamecube.

Gameplay – The gameplay will be familiar to those that have played the previous outings, it centers on a female bounty hunter, Samus Aran. The action takes place in a first person view, except when entering a morph ball mode in which the camera switches to a third person view. For the most part this is an adventure game and not a shooter although there is plenty of sequences in which you must fight your way through. So, if you like pure shooters and don't like to think about what you need to do to get by this may not be the game for you. The game requires you to notice your surrounds, scan and collect items to further your journey.

Unlike other what other reviews say you need the tutorial, since it teaches you how to use the abilities like scanning and such, which are needed for the rest of the game. It is designed to teach you how to identify what you need, and how to use these objects. From there you will be visiting other places and collecting and expanding your equipment to open up other paths to follow.

This game boost easily the best controls of any game on the Wii, its easy to get a handle on and you'll be shooting left and right in no time. Usually games have enemies on only eye level due to the nature of dual analog controls, but this game will have multiple enemies at various heights around you, but the controls make this a breeze to get through. The only problem I had was during cut scenes, if I moved the control around a ton, it would be messed up when I got back in control, but was easily fixed by resetting the remote. I didn't see anyone else mention this so it may just be a problem with my setup on my Wii.

Although this game is easier than Prime 2 – Echoes, it may be hard at times to figure out what to do or where to proceed next. The game will give you an objective to reach and it will be up to you to make it there, sometimes requiring you to obtain a new ability first.

I had a blast playing this game, it was fun and entertaining all the way through, at some points I would be wondering what to do, but I keep a notebook near by in which I write down rooms that I can't access along with what it says when I scanned it. For example, if I couldn't get through a door, I would scan and write down that the door can be opened with …… in order to be opened. I recommend using some sort of system like this, in order to keep track of where you can go once you obtain a certain powerup.

You will be backtracking throughout this game so be prepared. The backtracking is not a tedious as the last few games due to a way to jump around the places, which makes this must easier to bear.

Story – The story of Corruption I felt was much more involved than the other two games. As I went along I actually really got into the story and it's a great one. I'm not going to say any more since the point of the game is the story and I don't want to spoil it, I'll just say that you won't be disappointed with it.
* Graphics/Sound – This game looks beautiful, there are no other words about it, and it puts the system through its paces. The sounds are well done; the voice acting sounds great and the music really sets the mood of the game. At times I would just look around and stare at the world around me. They are by far the best looking on the system and should be what other games on the system should try to meet. Since, the graphics are so high, you will notice that doors don't open as quickly as they did in the past titles since they are loading the next area, you may wait up to 10 seconds at times. This doesn't take away from the experience at all, since you can just look around you until the door opens, the game looks that good.

* Play Time/Replayability – I finished the game with 100% completed in about 14:30. I would expect the average player to get at least 20 hours out of this game and love every second of it. I personally, am well into playing it again on Hyper mode (basically a more difficult setting, which you unlock after beating it once). You will also find a sort of achievement list that you would find on the 360, which should extend the replay value for some. Along with being able to unlock extras with basically coins that you earn throughout the game.

* Final Recommendation – If you have a Wii you need to buy this game, it's the best looking and easily has the best controls. If you are worried about how it plays go and pick up one of the first two games before hand, it's just like the others. The most important thing is scan everything you can find and make notes; this will help you in times of need.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/31/07

Game Release: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (US, 08/27/07)