Review by CyborgSage00x0

"Samus Aran:Your mission is to go out with a bang in the greatest display of FPS adventures. Mission status: Complete"

Metroid Prime was the first Metroid game to enter the 3D realm, and the first game of the Prime series. Back when we were all still getting used to our Gamecubes, that little game showed the raw power and beauty graphically, audibly, and playability wise. Never before would playing as Samus be the same again.

Until now. Enter the future with Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for the Wii. When the uniqueness of the Wii was first announced, everyone had their own ideas of what change the system would bring. Most noticeably was the idea of how swordplay and gunplay could be enhanced using state-of-the-art, motion sensor controls. Then Red Steel was announced, a game promising to utilize both. While the game did show how the controls could be used, they weren't fully developed, and did little more than to give players a taste of what they hoped the Wii could deliver. Then, 2 other games showed up on the radar. It became obvious that the upcoming Metroid Prime 3 would be the game to show how FPS controls were made were the Wii, and that No More Heroes, a game from the creator of Killer7, would most likely be the game to show how swordplay can be done right.

But now that Metroid Prime 3 (MP3) is out, how does it fare? Is it what we've hoped for? How does it stack up to games of Metroid Prime past? The answers are right below.

GRAPHICS: 10/10

Really now, this is a Wii game? Gamers and critics alike are singing the same tune: the graphics for MP3 are outstanding. This game honestly looks like it was crafted using either a 360 or PS3 graphics engines, it's that good. It brings back memories when the Xbox was though to be the most powerful system, the PS2 clearly the poorest, and then there was the GCN, which was capable of making games with such beauty like the Metroid Primes, RE4, and Twilight Princess, games that no Xbox ones could match.

Now I'm not saying that the Wii is secret a power house that has dark horse powers the other two systems should be afraid of. No, that this just goes to show what the Wii and good art direction are capable of.

At first glance, one might not notice a difference between how MP2 and MP3 look. But 10 minutes in and looking closer, you will quickly discover that the two are not even in the same league anymore. Light rips through skies and cloud to show the impressive quality of the lighting effects used. Character models are detailed to a fault. The arm canon of Samus even reflects and shines with a new glimmer. Everything just has such a crisp and clean look that defiantly makes you feel like you're in the next gen. I even went as far as putting two of my TV next to each other, one playing MP2 Echoes, and the other MP3 Corruption. I even put Corruption on what I believe was he weaker of the two TVs, and even with different art styles, the difference is clearly noticeable. The new coat of paint MP3 wears makes its predecessors look even washed out in comparison.

However, graphics are not always about textures, triangles, and polygons. Art direction and style is the other half of the equation, as this is what shows off how well the texture rendering was done. And let me just say, you won't find a game that does it better.

If you've played one of the previous Prime games for the GCN, or even any Metroid game, you should know how downright damn amazing the atmosphere is. MP3 welcomes you back to this with arms wide open. Detailed space ships. Lively character designs. Complex machinery. Worlds varying from Naval Stations to Fiery Jungles to Cloud cities, and even to ghost (dead) spaceships are just a few of the locals to visit, and each has its distinct vibe. And of course, my personal favorite, the architecture, which would make George Lucas drool. Even the amazingly impressive Twilight Princess has to nod at this game. It's extremely evident how much time Retro put into designing the worlds, buildings, and technology of each area of the game, as each has a very distinct look that reflects the cultures that inhabit them. Like any Prime game, you truly have to stop and behold the beauty of it all.

And don't forget the little things, like acid rain pouring on your visor, steam clouding your vision, and the need to scan and observe ever last detail of the worlds.

BOTTOMLINE- Metroid Prime 3 game is not only the most impressive looking game for the Wii, but one of the most detailed and lush Prime games to date. The haunting yet vibrate atmospheres will keep your eyes glued to your TV like no other.

MUSIC/SOUND-10/10
Metroid Prime music is downright awesome. There's no other way to say it. Not only do all the games capture the emotion and feelings on the surroundings, but the rock/metal/techno mixes give you that pumped, sci-fi feeling.

It's hard to say much more about the music than what was written above. Because if you've played other Metroid games, you already know what to expect. But, just to let you know, the tracks do indeed fit the areas. Fast paced scores will be used in the beginning, as you are under attack at the Federation Naval Base. Powerful and proud are the feelings conjured once you step foot on the planet of Bryyo, whose inhabitants have fought a power and costly civil war. The cloud top cities of Skytown play tunes of intelligence, haunting and eerie, all wrapped into one. I would describe more, but I don't want to give too much away.
Also, some familiar themes make a return, like the space pirate theme, as well as Ridley's theme. Many of these even have a new remix to them, which is good.
Also, laser blasts, ship engines, crawling sounds, etc., are all vibrant and present in the game. If you haven't played a Metroid Prime game before, then be prepared to listen to what video game tracks are supposed to sound like.

This is also the first game to feature voice acting...at least English voice acting. Many fans would agree that voice acting either had no place in games like Metroid and Zelda, or at least, include them, but keep the hero silent. You will quickly discover that MP3 does many things new, and including voice work is one of them. In fact, it's quite good. Troops seem to speak in a diseplined and dutiful manner, computer speak in a matter-of-factly way, and fellow bounty hunters act in a controlled chaotic fashion. It's really a nice change hearing interaction from other people. Fear not those of you who like the silence when exploring your world, you still have it. Most of the vocal opportunities are only present in the beginning, and occasionally you will hear a computer giving you information. And or coarse, Samus doesn't speak.

BOTTOMLINE-The tracks of this game have such a variety for each local that you will be begging to find these tunes online for download. The Voice acting also comfortably finds its place in the game.MP3 once again flawlessly combines a brilliant music score with lush and detailed world to make one of the most, if not the most, gripping and atmospheric games to date.

STORY-9.25/10
Metroid games have never really had a big emphasis on story before. Usually, you stumble into a world wit little reason why, but to only discover a gold mine of lore and information to learn about, through the small amount of NPC interaction and the large amount of exploring.
However, in order to break up the possibly stale mold of doing things, MP3 opens up and interacts with the story in a much broader way.

The story begins with a call by the Federation to meet up and discuss some matter, namely, recent Phazon activity. The entire Prime games have focused around Phazon and latter, Dark Samus, and it seems the Federation has decided to do something about it. Yes, you actually do get to hear and meet up with the Federation, whom you only even read about in previous Prime games. You soon discover that the Federation, once again, need your help in dealing with a crisis. However, you're not the only bounty hunter this time around: 3 others have been called upon to help. You will...interact with these other 3 hunters in one way or another a decent amount in the game, which is good.
However, Norion, the planet at the beginning of the game, quickly falls under attack by Space Pirates, and even Ridley himself. You and the other 3 scramble to help defend the place, but something goes wrong: you and the other 3 Hunters become corrupted with Phazon, Phazon that bores itself into your own living flesh. And it appears to get worse, visibly harming Samus. However, the Federation had already begun research on Phazon, and issues you a PED, Phazon Enhancement Device, which allows you to control Phazon-with a cost.

Which is the main idea of game. Corruption is spreading across the galaxy in the form of Phazon, and it is your job to purge it all away, while at the same time, becoming slowly corrupted yourself. This quest will take you to different world, where plenty of Lore will be able to be read, allowing a deeper look into the story.

All in all, the story is a big improvement from Primes past. Some may fear that this makes it too linear, but it actually gives you and Samus more of a purpose. It also wraps up questions that arose from the first two games.
I like the different direction the game chose to go in. The way you were just dropped into the world in MP2 with little background of what you were doing felt so...without driving purpose. While that leads to exploration, which what makes Metroid games fun, I'm glad for the added interaction and grater focus on an ultimate goal.

BOTTOMLINE-A much more involving experience than games of Prime past, the changes and secrets of MP3 are a welcomed addition to the series.

GAMEPLAY-9.5/CONTROLS-10/10
Adventure.Platmormer.FPS. All are aspects of MP3, and all definitions should be used together to describe the game. But as I said in the beginning, the world was waiting to see how MP3 handled FPS controls on the Wii. So let us start there.

IGN said the game had the best FPS console controls ever, period. Similar quips have been made from respected critics as well. I am here to further enforce that belief: you simply will not find a better, easier-to-control FPS on a console. At all. Rainbow Six games? Sorry guys. Halo2? Pff, get the heck out of my review. MP3, hands down, will m make a Wii believer out of you.

The main amazement in how accurate the Wiimote works. Your gun will follow you without fail, and works amazingly well in firefights. Te buttons are all greatly mapped-jumping to the B button, firing is A. Missiles are down on the d-pad, and visors require holding down the - button and flicking at the visor you want. Locking on is the Z button, morph ball C. Everything is in reach and highly accessible, allowing for faster and harder fire-fights than before. The speed and precision that you can now fire at is extremely incredible.

But what about the Nunchuck? This, is probably my favorite addition. News that the grapple would be controlled via nunchuck has been around for a while now, but playing believes. It is absolutely a blast to handle. Simply lock on to an object, and flick your nunchuck forward to unleash the grapple, and then BAM! Off goes an enemy's shield, or ZAP! I am now grappling swinging. The ease and fun of using the grapple simply must be played to believe. Once you get this ability, you are treated to your first challenge. Ships drop enemies off for you to fight, and some are armed with shields. Excellent. I throw out my grapple onto a shield, and begin to tug. Amazingly, you can feel resistance as you tug! Every throw won't simply means you ripping off s shield-a weak or slow one require more pull. Anyways, a take of his shield, and missile him a few times in the mouth. I more onto my next enemy, and Z-target him, and begin to strafe.
Another new control scheme is the ability to lock on an enemy, but also target anywhere else in your sight-kind like locking serves more use as a focal point, rather than a definite target, this time around.

I really liked the lock-on controls in the first two Primes, much better than dual analog, but these Wii controls are like none other. Finally, the Metroid series feels much more (and is) action packed and interactive, as your ship and many environments require motion manipulation as well. You will simply wish all games played this well. Even PC FPS games now have a rival, for the analog stick works much quicker than WSAD keys.

Basically, the hype about the controls is real, and you must play it to believe it.
.........................................
Now, what does this mean? Does my adventure/plat forming experience get sacrificed for more action? Not at all, they live in harmony. The controls allow for more encounters, and more dangerous ones too. The various enemies and pirate troops you meet this time around are very hard to get rid of, usually, because they are enhanced with Phazon. See, your enemies also have PED like systems, and if an enemy goes into Phazon mode, it means trouble. Your normal attacks do greatly reduced damage, and their damage to you is sharply increased. But fortunately, you can counter this by going into Phazon mode yourself. I was kinda worried that the grapple and Phazon mode wouldn't be paid enough attention to, but I was wrong in both cases. In this case, one of your energy life tanks is absorbed to enter Phazon mode. In this mode, your attack power skyrockets, allowing you to destroy any enemy, with Phazon or not, very quickly. However, the more you shoot, the more the tank fills up. If you exit Phazon mode with only using 1/3ish of the tank, you get your energy life tank back, at least some of it. However, if you stay in Phazon mode too long without filling up the tank, you start to become corrupted, to the point where you have to empty your tank to stay alive.

All of this means that you will enter Phazon mode quiet often, and soon discover how difficult it can be to juggle its use. Too much use will clearly result in low life-however it pretty much must be used in some situations, lest you face death anyways.
This makes MP3, at least in you vs. every other day enemies, much harder than previous games. In fact, later pirate units you face, even when they don't go into Phazon mode, can take 7ish full charged beam shots and missiles to down, and even a few Phazon blasts. This makes the game much more difficult. However, it's a little annoying that you don't have more powerful weaponry. While the Phazon mode is powerful enough, you will get to the point where even two injections is not enough to rid a room full of enemies. The Super Missile is noticeably missing, which would have made things a lot easier and less Phazon mode reliant.

In terms of boss battles, none are as unforgiving as MP2s *shudders at the thought of the Boost Guardian* However, the boss battles in MP3 are quite fun, and epic, and do require often a fancy combination of normal attacks, grappling, Phazon use, and morph balling. As shown in the previews, Ridley is back in this game, and you fight him quickly in. And man, it's one hell of an epic fight.

But what about the adventuring and plat forming part? It's hard to say a lot about this, because if you are a Prime vet, you know what to expect: there are once again, many areas to explore, hidden passage ways, taunting upgrades, insane Spider ball tracks, and a general awesomeness of places to explore. Skytown is an especially neat place to visit.
In terms of weapon upgrades, some interesting new things have been added that we haven't seen before. Beams are also now stackable, which is good. Also, your ship plays a great role in problem solving this time around, and is put to some good use. I really like what they have done with the puzzles this time around as well. Basically, the game play of this game excels in almost every area, and really does give a great vibe to the game.

I wish more attention had been paid to the missile, though, as I greatly miss missile combos *remembers the awesome Black hole in MP2* Also, the game was shorter tan Primes of the past. As usual, the game feels long, but my game insists I completed the game in 16:42, with 100% items found without a walkthrough, and probably 80%+ of scans. The other games seemed to have taken longer...maybe I'm just that good. ~_^. Also, there needs to be more Metroid attention paid to.

Phew, that was long, wasn't it! ^_^

BOTTOMLINE-The controls are revolutionary, and finally makes the FPS aspect of MP games up to par with the once again adventuring/plat forming. You will once again be invited to shoot, search, and survey the amazing worlds of Metroid.

Rent of BUY?
This should be obvious. MP3 is the best game on the Wii right now, even up against the amazing LoZ:TP. Metroid fans will be strapped into an epic adventure with new twists and turns, while newbies to the series will be introduced to an amazing experience. Even if you haven't played a Metroid game before, you can still be involved and caught up in MP3, although I do advise to play at least 1 or the other two Primes on the GCN, just to get more background on what's going on.

Pros:
+Amazingly beautiful graphics-best Wii visuals yet.
+Haunting yet epic sound and score
+More engaging and driving story
+More interaction with NPCs in the environment, without the sacrifice of the solitary exploring.
+Best FPS console controls to date
+New and unique weapons and upgrades
+Corruption/Hypermode more than just a gimmick
+Ease to play, yet a difficult challenge
+Searching and scouring the worlds is now more encourage with unlockable award system
+Voicework is good
+Ends the series on a good note

Cons:
-Some weapon upgrades are missed (Supermissile, beam/missile combos)
-seems a tad shorter
-while world traveling is fun and new, forgetting something and having to keep going back gets to be a pain

Best in the series? That's for you to debate, good player, but MP3 is defiantly a prime contender. It has the look and feel of all the good things we love about past Primes, while going for a new direction and twist at the same time, and succeeding. If you own a Wii, this is a no-brainer must buy. If I had to give an actual grade, I'd say this game is a 9.75-9.5/10, not an average.

Thank you for reading.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/04/07

Game Release: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (US, 08/27/07)