Review by shurikengun

"I'm amazed I was able to wait..."

Alright. My first review here. Obviously it's for Metroid Prime 3, because it's on the Metroid Prime 3 page...

Anyways, on with the show!

[SYNOPSIS]

Six months after what happened in Metroid Prime 2, it turns out that the Pirates are up to their evil ways again, and are corrupting various Aurora Units, techno-organic supercomputers that bear a frightening resemblance to Mother Brain, with a virus, and Samus is called to take care of it. It's a wonder she wasn't angry or anything, because they woke her up when that happened. :P She meets up with three other bounty hunters, Rundas, the Phrygian native who is the Metroid universe's Iceman, Ghor, a benevolent cyborg hunter who can merge with all manner of machinery, including his robot suit/gunship, and Gandrayda, a purple, youthful shapeshifter. Not long after the four meet up, they are attacked by Dark Samus, who blasts them with a super powerful burst of Phazon, causing them to become "corrupt"... Samus supposedly goes into a coma for a month, and wakes up wearing a Galactic Federation Phazon Enhancement Device... It all goes to hell after that, in a good way.

[GRAPHICS]

The past two Metroid Prime games were known for their ability to squeeze as much graphical power as they can out of the Gamecube, this is no different, except that it's throttling the Wii this time. I don't care what people say about the Wii's graphical power. They just need to take one look at Metroid Prime 3. From the thorny jungles and fiery Fuel Gel pits of Planet Bryyo, to the great spires and machinery of Planet Elysia, to the dark, foreboding acid rain filled atmosphere of the Pirate Homeworld, to the frakin' scary mutated Phazon Metroids, everything is rendered in great detail... in real-time too. Unfortunately, this is the Wii we're talking about here, so this here is about as good as we're gonna get.

I give it a 9/10

[CONTROL]

Now, this, my fellow gamers, is what a console FPS should be like. Halo? Pfft. You still need to use an analog stick to aim in that. Here, the Wiimote does the aiming, shooting, jumping, visor-changing, hypermode-ing, and bringing up the map. The Nunchuk deals with movement, changing into the morph ball, locking on, and grapple lasso-ing. Now, this setup might seem a little wonky, but it's all executed perfectly, and the game controls smoothly.

As I said before, this is what a console FPS should be. 10/10, hands down.

[GAMEPLAY]

The gameplay itself is fun, like the other two games. The cool thing here, though, is the addition of context-sensitive puzzles and switches that require Wiimote and/or Nunchuk movements to solve. After you get a certain weapon, you can even use your Arm Cannon as a blowtorch to weld and repair broken circuit boards. They are fun, and offer a break from the blasting. As for the blasting itself, it's fast paced, frantic, and addicting. The Hypermode greatly increases your power for a short time, at the cost of an energy tank. You'll earn new powers for this mode such as the Hyper Missile, and for every powerup you get for Hypermode, Samus becomes even more corrupt herself, as evidenced by how her face changes. (You can see a faint reflection of her face while in the Scan Visor). On a side note, you even get to build a thermonuclear weapon. :D

Needless to say, it's enough to keep me playing. 10/10

[SOUND AND MUSIC]

The music is okay, but then again, the only games I've ever played for the music was the early Megaman series. (Listen to Wily Stage 1 in Megaman II, and you'll see what I mean) All I can say is that, while satisfactory, it could be better. Now for just the sound, the voices are good. Samus now has different grunts when she gets hit, depending on how often and how hard she gets hit. The cannon and missile fire sound is the same from the previous two games, so you know what to expect.

7/10. Could be worse, but definitely could be better.

[EXTRAS]

This game has more extras than the first two games combined. They can be bought with Red, Blue, Green, and Gold "Bonus Credits". They're earned by doing various things throughout the game; scanning new creatures earns you red, scanning lore earns you blue, defeating bosses and doing major events earns you gold, and various achievements (Yeah, this game's got Achievements. What now?) will earn you Friend Vouchers, which can be given to a friend who also owns the game so they can have Green credits. The most common way to earn the Green Friend Voucher is by reaching milestones in your kill count (usually every one hundred kills).

The bonuses range from image galleries, music from the main game, to fun little things like a screencap tool, bumper stickers for your ship, and a Mii Bobblehead.

The bonuses earn a 9/10. It would have been a 10/10, but there it was lacking something the first Metroid Prime game had... an unlockable classic Metroid game.

Overall: [9.5/10]

Why was I forced to wait for this game? That was torture. It was all worth it though... I'm a happy man.

Buy this game now... NOW.

Oh, before I forget, if anyone has the game as well, and is willing to send some Friend Vouchers to me, my FC is 0655 8888 9856 6976. I've got plenty of vouchers myself, eleven to be exact, and I'll send some in return....

Happy gaming, fellow hunters.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/04/07

Game Release: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (US, 08/27/07)