Review by Upgraded-Form

"Corruption may take away the "feel" of a Metroid game, but it certainly creates a new amazing one!"

This game is amazing. Simple as that. Though I preferred the first Metroid Prime game, this one really does live up to it's hype. There is hardly anything wrong with this game. From beautiful art to epic boss battles, Metroid Prime 3 really is a gorgeous game. It's one of those games where you never want to stop playing. If you fail at a task and have to go through the entire thing over again, you'll want to do it anyways, unlike most games where you just feel bored of it and decide to do it later. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is easily the best Wii game to date. Yes, even better than Twilight Princess.

By the way, the only SPOILERS in this review involves the Storyline portion, so read at your own risk.

Graphics:

One word. Beautiful. This game really does prove that Gameplay over Graphics is true. The graphics themselves are relatively on par with Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, but that doesn't make it a bad thing. The artistic value is simply incredible, and really shows what the Wii can do. Not to mention, the game itself looks outstanding when you're playing it. When watching it on the Internet, one can't really sense the polished feel this game has. There really isn't anything wrong with this section. 10/10

Gameplay:

The gameplay is amazing. I hear people complaining that it's too similar to the previous games. It's not. I know it is forced to use the Wii's controls, but the fact that it takes full advantage makes this game so innovative. It probably has the best First-Person controls in a First-Person game. I tried to play the first two Metroid Primes, and found myself walking against walls. These controls surpass Dual-Analog, and the Learning Curve is very short. At first, the controls were very foreign, but after five to ten minutes, you'll play the game as if you've played it before. There are three choices for controls, but I recommend the standard choice. It's the best one. The only complaint I have is that Hyper-Mode makes things easier. HOWEVER, the very last difficulty you receive after beating the game, known as "Hyper-Mode" makes up for this. And then there's the boss battles. Wow, these guys are amazing. Easily the best boss battles in a Metroid game. They get easier as you go through the game, but at the same time, they grow even more epic. 9/10

Story: SPOILERS

The story is great. It's definitely not the best, but at the same time, you'll keep wanting to play more and more as you progress through the game. Initially, there is a virus affecting Aurora Units (Super Computers). Samus must find a way to cure these Aurora Units, but at the same time, find a cure for herself, as she is corrupted with a unique radioactive substance known as Phazon. As the player progresses through the game, Samus will be corrupted with more and more Phazon after every time she fights a boss. It's a fairly simple story, but for a Metroid game, it's a great one. 8/10

Music:

Personally, I find music in a game to be important, and this Metroid game has the best music of them all. The music for most of the events in this game are indeed epic. From Brryo's primitive feel to Elysia's calm music, you'll find yourself drawn in by it. The music for the boss battles are basically incredible. Metroid Prime 3 captures that eerie and moody feeling one has in it's Soundtrack. Even the remix of Phendrana Drifts is incredible, despite the fact that it only has the first half of it. 10/10

Replay Value:

Honestly, the only Replay Value in this game is 100% Scans and 100% items. However, 100% items are the only ones that give you the bonus 100% ending. 100% scans are just there for your own comfort, but once you play the game, you'll find yourself scanning almost everything. It's very addicting, despite the small reward you get. HOWEVER, the extra Medal system or whatever the hell it's called allows the replay value to increase even more. Unfortunately, there's a very limited amount of things you can do. For example, there isn't much music to pick from the Soundtrack portion. Friend Credits are reduced to being usable only by the demon code we all know and hate. That's right. The Friend Code. But when you get them, the Credits are very nice. Bobbleheads and Bumper Stickers for your ship is always something to love! Anyways, you'll find yourself playing through this game more than once, and based on previous experiences with Metroid games, THIS is the true Replay Value of the game. 8/10.

Final Overview:

Of course, this game is not perfect. Then again, neither is any game. Although I found the original Metroid Prime to be more enjoyable, this game is simply the best game on the Wii console so far. People complain that the Wii hardly has any good games, but MP3, TP, SSBB, and SMG all prove it wrong. It just goes to show that if you actually give a console time, it will come up with amazing 5-star games. All in all, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption deserves a final score of 9/10.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/12/07

Game Release: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (US, 08/27/07)