Review by Super Slash

"A great end to a great series"

Samus is back in one of her most successful games yet! Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is the final Metroid Prime game, and it was released on August 27th of 2007. Not even a month after it was released, I got the game, and I began playing. At first I didn't know what to expect, since it seemed much different, but once I got onto the first planet I got highly addicted.

Surprisingly, this game actually DOES have a story that you find out at the beginning of the game. Once again, the Space Pirates have returned. Samus has joined up with the Federation, and they're in a war against them. The one behind the Space Pirates is Samus's arch-enemy (I bet you can guess who that is without me having to tell you). She starts onboard a ship called the G.F.S Olympus. The story is even better because of the voice acting, so you're actually aware of what's going on. Also, as the game progresses, Samus will get messages from the Federation telling her where to go next, or what to do next. She must destroy the Seeds of certain planets, and only she can do it. Someone else she knows and has fought has also returned, whom she must defeat once more. Thus, another adventure in the Metroid Prime series begins. The story is defenitely better than most of the Metroid games out there.

The gameplay is almost perfect. It's even better than the previous games. Just like always, you have to use Samus's Power Beam at the start of the game, her primary beam. However, as you go through more of the game, you'll get more. There's not as many beams as there was in the first Metroid Prime, though. You must use the Wii Remote to perform certain actions (and the Nunchuk to move, obviously), such as inserting an Energy Cell into something or pulling a lever. You will even gain several Grapple upgrades throughout the game, and this time, you can use the Nunchuk to throw out your Grapple and pull off enemy shields! Not only that, but you can also pull other things, too. This makes the game all the more fun. Throughout the game, like in the previous Metroid games, you'll find upgrades for Samus's suit, and even your ship eventually. There are 50 Missile Expansions spreaded throughout the course of the game, and some of them are hidden well. For each Missile Expansion you get, your total Missile count is increased by 5. That may not seem like that much, but you'll defenitely need to get as many of them as possible, because Missiles are used a lot in this game.

Again, like in the other Metroid games, there are Energy Tanks. When collected, your maximum energy capacity is increased by 100. Every time you lose 100 health, one Energy Tank is depleted, and you have to collect colorful orbs from enemies and such to regain your health. Entering your ship or a Save Station refills all of your health automatically. Energy Tanks are essential to beating the game, and you'll have to get many of them if you even hope to beat the game. You will get an upgrade to your Missiles eventually, and that makes them all the more useful. In this game, you can actually operate your own ship. You can't literally control the flight of the ship, but you can press buttons to operate it. You can even use a hand scanner on the ship to select the place or planet you wish to fly to. Also new to this game are the Ship Missiles. You will get an upgrade for those eventually, then you can start finding Ship Missile Expansions. These expansions raise the total amount of missiles your ship can hold by 1. Ship Missiles are used to blow up generators and such, doing something important for you. You don't even have to use bombs in Morph Ball mode to jump anymore; you can use the Wii Remote. However, bomb jumps are still required to reach some upgrades and such.

The scanning feature has also stayed. You can scan many objects spreaded throughout each planet, and you can also scan creatures. Each time you scan something important (like a creature), it gets added to your Logbook so you can view it for more information on that thing. Scans aren't really important in the game, though, and they only help you get more Credits. You can also use the Command Visor to call in your ship, order it to attack, and more. And the X-Ray Visor, when obtained, is used to reveal hidden codes, weak points of certain enemies, and more. All three visors are pretty useful throughout the game, and you'll find yourself using them quite often (especially the Scan Visor). Overall, the gameplay is simply fantastic, and the game is pretty easy to control.

The graphics haven't improved much since the previous Metroid Prime games, but they're still great. The characters are all drawn out good, the background in each area of every place is good, and the graphics are just all in all quite decent. They're nothing that will put a strain on your eyes or anything, and they're nice and smooth. They have improved a little since before, but still not by much.

The sound is still good. You will hear a gunshot when Samus shoots her beam, when the Space Pirates shoot their guns, etc. Overall, the sound isn't really annoying, and it's pretty good. I actually liked most of the sound in the game.

Music: 8/10

This game has some decent music, but it's nothing spectacular. There are a few tracks in the game that are good, but nothing you could just listen to all day. All of the other tracks in the game aren't really good or bad; they're just normal, and fit a Metroid game well. I did enjoy some tunes, however. But what can you expect? It's a Metroid game; the music isn't all that great in the Metroid franchise.

Controls: 10/10

I can't help but give the controls a perfect score. They're just simply outstanding, and better than any Metroid game to date. There are many things you can do using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, such as pull off enemy shields with the Grapple Lasso, pump levers with the Wii Remote, and much more. This time, when you go into a Morph Ball, you can simply flick the Wii Remote up to perform a jump as a Morph Ball. In previous Metroid games, you had to use bombs to do so. Bombs still work and are required for certain places, but the Wii Remote will work just fine in most places throughout the game. You even have to shake certain enemies off by rapidly shaking the Wii Remote and Nunchuk up and down, when the enemy jumps on you. Not many foes in the game do this, however. There are really no flaws with the controls, and you'll most likely feel the same way.

Replay Value: 7/10

Once you beat the game, you are given the option to save. Regardless of what percentage you completed the game at, you will always unlock the Hyper difficulty upon beating the game. Once you save your game, you will restart the game when you select your file. This is basically a New Game + type of thing, where you start off with some stuff from your previous file. However, you aren't forced to save, and you can go back and get any missing items you may have not gotten. You could always try the Hyper difficulty, too.

Buy or Rent?

Buy! Buy it at all costs. Even if you do not like FPS's, get this game. You will not regret it. Even if you didn't play the other Metroid Prime games before this one, it doesn't really matter (I played this before the second one). It's not purely an FPS either; there are some Adventure elements in the game, too. Overall, I highly recommend buying this game as soon as you can.

After reviewing this whole game, I give it a score of a nine out of ten. It's one of the best Metroid games ever created, and it defenitely has the best controls out of any of them. I hope you liked this review, and I hope that it helped you make a decision on whether or not you should get the game. Until my next review, everybody!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/02/07

Game Release: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (US, 08/27/07)