Review by ZGDK

"This Game has me Corrupted..."

When I bought my Wii there were several games I planned on purchasing. One of them was Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Now I was expecting it to be a good game, guess what it isn't.

The story of Metroid Prime 3 once again involves bounty hunter Samus Aran. The first lady of gaming is as usual armed with her power suit (a.k.a. robot suit that covers whole body, made by Chozo) and is ready to kick some Space Pirate ass. Unlike previous installments of the series where the story was primarily told through text logs, Corruption features a heavier emphasis on the tale. This makes for some crazy plot twists that will keep you on the edge of your seat although some parts feel like they've been done before.

Remember before how I said the game wasn't good? I wasn't lying, it isn't good. IT'S AMAZING. Like other games in the Metroid franchise there is a heavy emphasis on puzzle solving and exploration. This is just as fun as in previous installments and this time it's made better by the improved controls. My major gripe with the other Prime games was the controls. They felt like they were more geared to exploration rather than combat making boss fights and random encounters not as fun as they should be. However Corruption has simplified the controls making both exploration and combat a breeze. You use the Wiimote and Nunchuck to aim, move, and pull of all your special moves. The only gripe I have is that to access the Map you need to press the 2 Button. It feels kind of awkward because it's more towards the bottom of the controller and you'll have your finger on the top most of the time. It would've been easier to press the – Button.

Like other Primes you'll be trekking across a bunch of huge levels. Puzzles are integrated more into the environment in this game than in the first two. You'll have to use your surroundings to access the next area. The puzzles are also more enjoyable because they seem to flow better. In Prime 1 most of the puzzles involved hitting a button or scanning something, not in Corruption. In this game you'll have to use a little more brainpower than in previous installments.

Combat is also greatly improved. A big gripe I had with the first Prime was that enemies took a lot of hits and their attacks were generally stronger than yours. Thanks to a new feature called Hyper Mode you can now easily make waste of pesky foot soldiers and drones. This feature lets you plow through enemies rather than wait five minutes fighting some super-strong bad guys only to get your butt kicked in the next room.

Like other Metroids you have a host of weapons at your disposal. Each weapon is different and fun to use. My personal favorite would be the Grapple Beam. You lock onto some rubble blocking your way and swing the Nunchuck forward like a fishing hook and reel back pulling away objects. This dosen't feels gimmicky whatsoever because it's not overused. The developers put a lot of time and effort into making the weapons fun and enjoyable to use.

Visually this is a breathtaking game. The enemies are grotesque and the levels are stunningly beautiful. Everything has so much detail put into it, and considering the game never drops 60 FPS this game looks good even on an old tube TV from god knows when.

Like the graphics a lot of effort has been put into the music. It can be eerie one moment and exciting the next. It fits the style of the levels perfectly, but sometimes is a little drab.

Overall Metroid Prime 3: Corruption kept me coming back for more and more time and time again. That's why I'm giving it a:

9.5/10-EXCELLENT

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/03/07

Game Release: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (US, 08/27/07)