Review by wolverinefan

"A fine finale to a weak series"

I'm not a fan of the Metroid Prime series. The original series is a whole nother story. I'm not sure what it is but I didn't want to play this game but it was one of the few games I needed to play for the Wii. I must say I was surprised by it.

Samus and some fellow bounty hunters end up on a planet, a meteor is hitting, an evil form of Samus appears and the plot continues its downward spiral from there. All of that takes place within the games first 30 minutes and the plot never gets better. I've never felt so little for a lead and while I think Samus kicks butt, she's kind of boring in this game.

Best looking Wii game? Not really. This game is a mixed bag when it comes to the visuals. On one hand we have some sweet looking enemies, meteors and other stuff. On the other hand the locations lack any details. Overall they feel generic. There's no life to this games visuals. Not only that but I hate the look of Samus suit in this game. The add ons look absurd.

The sound in the game is fairly good. Nice music which is a mix of old and new so it brought back some nice memories. On the other hand there is voice work but Samus is a silent chick so she kind of just sits around listening to people. Oh and you can't skip the cut scenes, as if a single one ever had something important in it.

The Wii tends to deliver bad controls for me. I must say it works smoothly this time around. It's easy to move around, aim, shoot and even grapple. There are a few bits where it takes a while for the controller to hit its mark but besides that it worked fun, really responsive. Aiming is fluid and not clunky like in Red Steel. I did feel that after a while I just didn't have enough buttons to make ever action simple and I found myself fumbling sometimes.

For fans of the Prime series there isn't much different here. Fans of the originals who are jumping into the end of this trilogy may be let down.

The idea is the same as any first person shooter. Run along corridors, shoot enemies and solve puzzles.

What I do find interesting is that the puzzles are actually well done. You turn into the morph ball to jump through holes, tubes and other stuff. Or you need to use the grapple to move objects.

My problem comes in with the fact that to open certain doors that require a simple handprint, you'll need to scan them.

Yes, scanning is an alright idea. It adds depth to the areas and the background of the world. It's also fine to add an extra ending for 100% but why do I need to scan a hand print panel to use it? It's annoying and tedious. I shouldn't be forced to do something so dumb.

The enemy ai is fairly dumb as well. They run and move along set patterns. They have so-so aim but you get so much health that I doubt you will die on anything but a boss.

Speaking of bosses I must admit to being let down. Sure we get some cool returns but ultimately they didn't do anything interesting. Every boss has a weak spot to exploit and it's usually obvious. None besides the last boss even put up a threat. I still have nightmares of Super Metroid's final boss and how many times it took me to beat it my first time.

But at the end of it all I was left feeling pleased. It isn't visually stunning, the plot is weak and the game play has some flaws. But it's a solid first person shooter. If you ignore the actual Metroid name you can actually enjoy the game.

The game isn't overly long. Took me under 10 hours to beat but I had nowhere near all of the scans though.

I would recommend this to those desperate for a Wii game. It isn't perfect but it does provide an amusing experience. A great rental or a good purchase once it hits the Players Choice pricing level.

Story - 6/10
Graphics - 7/10
Sound - 8/10
Control - 9/10
Game Play - 8/10
Replay value - 3/10

Final Score - 8/10

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/04/08

Game Release: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (US, 08/27/07)