Review by horror_spooky

"Wrong Side of the Law"

Honestly, I can say that I have not been a huge fan of the Metroid Prime series. Since I loved Super Metroid on the SNES and Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS and since the Metroid Prime games received nearly perfect scores from practically everybody, I figured that I would totally love them. I don't know how many times I rented the original Metroid Prime trying to enjoy it, but for some reason, I never got into the game. Well, I figured I'd give the third entry, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, a try on the Wii and I have to say that it's my favorite iteration of the Metroid Prime series on consoles.

The game plays pretty much the same as the previous games. You still go to various places, figure out a bunch of puzzles, fight some bosses, get some upgrades, and are done with it, but there are some new twists involving the Wii's motion-sensing capabilities. Though these are pretty miniscule things, they are still pretty cool. You may have to pull a switch out of a wall, twist it, and push it back in. In a lot of games, most notably Obscure: The Aftermath, thrusting the Wii remote forward doesn't work well at all, but Metroid Prime 3 nailed it right on the head. Other upgrades also take advantage of the Wii's unique feature.

A new feature present in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption that wasn't present in the previous games is the “Hyper Mode” ability with the basic concept of owning everything with some extremely powerful blasts. The only problem with Hyper Mode is that it can, well, kill you if you're in it too long. Also the game will randomly send you into a tizzy if you use Hyper Mode excessively, forcing you to pound on the A button as hard and fast as possible to keep yourself alive. Hyper Mode was a great change of pace and I think it was one of the best new features in the entire game.

Scanning is back and you can find out a bunch of useless information about a planet's history by scanning, but it's still kind of interesting. The Morph Ball ability, obviously, returns and there aren't any problems there. Another new feature, though, is a weird system that is a total knock-off of the Xbox 360's achievement system. By doing certain things like killing so many enemies or something you get a little note about it.

The worst part about Metroid Prime 3 is that the game often just expects you to figure things out without giving you much of a cool to what you're doing. While this does add time to the gameplay, you can only stand to be in one area so long until you feel like you're going to explode. Also switching to other abilities was unnecessarily annoying with the Wii remote and navigating on the map was so frustrating that I was about ready to destroy my freaking console! Seems like a minor problem, but it can get so unbelievably annoying that it's shocking…

Multiplayer returns…wait, no, no it doesn't. I have no idea why Nintendo didn't include multiplayer in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, but it was the dumbest thing ever and definitely took the game, which is an otherwise above-average adventure, down a few pegs. I mean, I loved multiplayer in Metroid Prime: Hunters on the DS and the Wii definitely needs more online multiplayer games.

Metroid Prime 3 is another science-fiction epic that actually has a very good story, unlike most Nintendo games. All the characters are very likeable and actually pretty cool. The only problem is that the game doesn't give you enough time to actually care about them, so when things happen to them it's not really that big of a deal.

Whoever says that the Wii's graphics are bad obviously hasn't played Metroid Prime 3. Like I said before, the characters look awesome, especially the Hunters. There are plenty of creatures to face and the lava effects in some of the stages were just awesome. I did find that the environments were somewhat underwhelming at times and a little repetitive. Maybe if Nintendo strayed away from the grittier look of the series and focused on more vibrant environments, then it would have been better. I don't know, I guess I can only take so much black and gray for so long.

Another thing present in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption that is odd for Nintendo is the inclusion of voice-acting. Unfortunately, Samus does not speak in the game, which I feel kind of ruins some of the more dramatic moments throughout. I have no complaints audio-wise and the soundtrack is great like pretty much all Nintendo titles.

While length is definitely not a problem in Metroid Prime 3, the replayability is. Sure, if you are really that ambitious you can go through the game again and get all of those pretty meaningless achievements. There are some extras to unlock, but there really isn't that much life put into the game as you would have hoped. Seriously, multiplayer would have done this game wonders.

It's amazing how Nintendo can turn a mediocre series around with a final entry that has great graphics, amazing audio, an awesome story, and some sweet action. I went into this game not expecting to even like it all that much, but it definitely proved me wrong. I only wish that they kept multiplayer around. The Wii has been very impressive so far with solid title after solid title and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption definitely keeps that momentum going.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/03/08

Game Release: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (US, 08/27/07)