Review by NorwegianWood28

"Takes away many of the things that make the first two games exceptional."

Metroid Prime 3 was the first major Wii game released for the system that was built completely ground-up for the system. It was the first FPS game to an infrared pointer instead of the right analog stick, which many people prefer as a control scheme for FPS over dual analog. The game also features rudimentary motion controls as well. You can use the nunchuck to act as Samus's left arm when she uses her grapple beam. You can waggle the wii remote to make samus jump when she's in the morph ball form. You can rotate the Wii Remote to open valves and use levers. The motion controls work quite well; the game is programmed so that the technology for the motion controls seem a lot better than they actually are. You know that there isn't actual 1:1 correspondance with the WiiRemote and the game like there is in Skyward Sword, but it's hardly noticeable because the game tricks you into thinking otherwise. The infrared shooting works just as well, Corruption certainly improves on the well designed, but possibly hard to use contorl system introduced in the first two games.

The first two Metroid Prime games kind of invented a genre: The First-Person Adventure. Games that still, if you wanted to, could be classified as First-Person shooters, but their focus on exploration and puzzle solving rather than combat has led them to receive those names. Metroid Prime 3, however, does not have the same focus on exploration as the others do. The main plotline has you taking commands from a Galactic Federation Admiral Dane, as well as orders from this supercomputer. You are sent across 3 major planets: Bryyo, a diverse, but small planet with fire, stone ruins, and jungle sections; Elysia, whose City-In-The-Sky reminsicient of Bioshock Infinite's Columbia; and The Pirate Homeworld, which is just a generic pirate base thing. There are other Galactic Federation ships and bases you have access to as well. You travel to the planets by flying on your ship, which you can also call in to shoot enemies and pick up large objects.

The combat system has changed a little bit. In the first two metroid prime games, you can unlock up to four beams as your main weapon. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. Some beams only work on certain enemies, so it definitely added some strategy and variety to the gameplay. Metroid Prime 3 ditches this system. When you acquire a new beam, it completely replaces the old one. So you never have the option of using more than one type of beam. This also makes the beams generic, because since you only have one, their use has to be feasible at all times. In the original Metroid Prime, you had the option to use really slow firing, but powerful beams when the situation was right. You don't get that option in Metroid Prime 3, because being forced to use that type of beam the whole time would be disastrous. I am rather disappointed they chose to abandon the wonderful system that the first two games set up. It added a lot of variety and I found myself genuinely excited when I found a new beam, because finding out all of their different properties and uses was so interesting.

They do, however, add Hyper Mode. This kind of adds the variety lost with the beam system being removed. At any time during the game, hold down the + button to sacrifice a chunk of your health and go into hyper mode. In this mode, your attacks are more powerful, basically. Kind of like Wario Man from SSBB. Hyper Mode is a nice addition I guess. It's useful for times when you want to eliminate a lot of enemies really quickly. Using hyper mode a lot can have negative consequences for Samus, or at least that's what the game makes you believe.

Metroid Prime 3 is one of the few metroid games (the others being M and Fusion) where you are actually given instructions by other characters on what to do in the game. Metroid games traditionally are nonlinear, the character having to figure out what locations to go next to progress in the game. This can be offputting for some people. It was very offputting for me. In my first playthroughs of Metroid Prime and Metroid Zero Mission, I eventually stopped playing because I had no idea where to go in the game. The nonlinearity, however, is what makes the Metroid series unique. Few other games do you feel as lonely or isolated as you do in Metroid Prime or Metroid Prime 2.

This is probably my least favorite of the trilogy. It was definitely good, but for me, it abandoned many of the things that made the first two games enjoyable for me: the wonderful combat system and the interesting feeling of isolation and loneliness.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/02/14

Game Release: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (US, 08/27/07)