Review by CVV1

"Underwhelming, and overshadowed by much greater games."

The Wii was a system everyone had their eyes on. I was real excited to get one, and on of the lucky to get it on launch day. It would come to have a few great games, and tons of shovelware, and some in the middle, like Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

Gameplay:
I wasn't someone who got into all the special techniques in Brawl's predecessor, Melee. Brawl, to me, feels just like Melee, just a bit slower. The move sets were even 90% the same as Melee. I blame most of this because of Nintendo's choice to not have Next-Gen graphics. Brawls designers could have done so much more with a more powerful system. Underwhelming.

Story:
Wait...story? There is one, but it's dumb.Hardly a story, no character development at all, no sense of urgency. Boring. The lack of any character development KILLED it for me. I love a story with someone you can feel for. Nintendo has never been known for having fleshed out characters. The Susbspace Emmisary is a bit redundant, also, and seems to get long. I didn't finish it, I got bored of how repetitive it is.

Graphcis:
Good, nice particle effects, runs smooth, looks good on an HDTV, even! not much more to say.

Soundtrack:
This is something that needs to be pointed out. AMAZING. The best music from some of the best games to ever be created. One of the best in the industry.

Overall:
You can see I didn't really write much. There isn't much to write about. The online blows, story blows, graphics and sound are nice. I don't know how people could wait so long for a game like this, it wasn't worth looking forward to, and I'm happy I didn't more than a week. There just isn't anything exciting! Some new characters, I still only played with Link. The stage designer seemed limited, and You had to UNLOCK items to use in the creation of your masterpiece. Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption are the best games on the Wii, no doubt. How this game can be so cherished by so many is confusing, Melee is a different story. Buy this game if you haven't played Melee, you won't have anything to compare it too, and make sure you don't have an Xbox 360 laying around with a better online system. Decent game at most, nothing more, will surely be forgotten by me.

Hope this helps,
CVV1

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 05/19/08

Game Release: Super Smash Bros. Brawl (US, 03/09/08)