Review by pokelover980

"Melee 1.5? I think not! Much better than Melee."

I think this game is more deserving a different title than Melee 1.5. Brawl fits it perfectly, as this IS a new game to the series, is it not? If it were Melee 1.5, we would see everything from Melee, with a few small additions such as just 2 or 3 characters. Brawl adds more than that, making it a game worth the money. In this review, I will refer to Brawl as SSBB, Melee as SSBM, and the original as SSB or SSB64.

-Introduction-
Long story short, Brawl is an outstanding game on the Wii, and it most certainly deserves the title as the best on the system. Unlike the previous installments, Brawl provides unique elements to the game, including a great story mode. Melee's Adventure mode was the closest thing to a Story mode, but offered no story. The SSB64 had no story, but it was still a great game.

-Game play- 9/10
Most people will say Brawl's game play is just a watered down version of Melee's, but I won't be a slave to such opinion. Brawl offers unique elements to the game play that SSB and SSBM did not. Brawl can be easy or hard, depending on how good you are at these kinds of games. The game mostly fits hardcore gamers, but casual gamers can still have a chance. The game's controls were designed for any type of gamer, with four controller options: Wiimote held sideways, Wiimote and Nunchuck, Classic Controller and GameCube controller.

This is a really fun game to play, and offers a wide enough variety of characters. Some things from Melee were removed, specifically hit-stun and wave dashing. If you could play Melee without having to use hit-stun to combo you can still play this game. Wave dashing was so little used I forgot about it, so if you used it as a technique for some odd reason, that's too bad. If you thought Melee was hard, Brawl should be a little easier. In Melee, after you Aerial Dodged, you were left useless. In Brawl, you can Aerial Dodge and still do things, such as use your second jump or dodge again, or even attack.

-Story- 10/10
Brawl's story mode, the Subspace Emissary (A.K.A. SSE) is the replacement to the Adventure Mode in Melee. Unlike Adventure mode, SSE actually has a story to follow. SSE starts out in an Arena, with Mario and Kirby about to fight. You get to choose to play as one of the two. Once you win, the opponent turns into a trophy, and you turn them back. Then the real story begins when the Primids, enemies from Subspace, appear. You fight them, and Petty Piranha kidnaps the two princesses, Peach and Zelda. You free one, and the story progresses from there. The beginning starts out scrambled, but gets organized towards the end, becoming one of the greatest stories I've ever seen. Lack of voice acting is a downer, but the acting the characters provide is enough to make up for it.

-Graphics/Sound- 10/10
Brawl has amazing graphics, possibly the best of it's time on the Wii. Games have come out since it's release, but not many match it graphics wise. I won't ruin the story, but near the end of SSE there is a cut scene that has terrific graphics. The characters are very well detailed, but they didn't have to be THIS detailed. You can see the stitches in Mario's overalls, and even texture is great looking.

The sound in this game is amazing, offering a wide variety of songs. Once you have unlocked a song, you can listen to it in the Sound Test page. Sadly, a lot of songs are remixes, so they aren't very good. I, personally, am sad that the Kirby's Dreamland Stage Theme is left out, only to be replaced by a sad excuse for a remix, called "Gourmet Race". It doesn't even sound like the Gourmet Race song I've come to know and love. You can also use any songs you unlocked when making a custom stage.

-Play Time/Reliability-
Brawl has a pretty lengthy play time if you want to unlock and beat all modes, as well as collect every trophy and sticker. It is worth playing through SSE again, choosing a different character in the beginning, as well as saving a different princess, and making different decisions during the entire game. Brawl mode is fun, even without having someone else to play with, because you can also face bots. There is also Wi-Fi mode, allowing you to play with friends over Wi-Fi, or play random matches against people around the world. The only problem with Wi-Fi is that it get's really laggy.

-Final Recommendation-
This game is definitely worth the $50, so I would highly recommend you buy it. If you aren't in to these kind of games, rent it first. If your pleased with it after renting it, you should definitely buy it. If you get this as a gift, try it out, and if you aren't pleased, then you can trade it in if you wish. It's really your opinion that counts, but I think this game is great.

-Overall Review- 10/10
Brawl is a great game, more than just Melee with a few additions. Game play offers some new techniques to all players, while veteran Smash players can still be the best. The story is great, considering this IS Super Smash Bros.. Graphics are outstanding for a Wii game, bringing it to the limits. Sound is terrific, with a lot of songs. If you want a really long game, this is for you. Even I haven't completely beaten it, and I got it the day it came out (that's over a year ago!). If you just want a good fighting game, GET THIS GAME! Brawl is awesome, much more than an improved Melee.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/22/09

Game Release: Super Smash Bros. Brawl (US, 03/09/08)