Review by Waver92

"Slightly overhyped but fun."

Super Smash Bros Brawl was hyped a lot! In my honest opinion after playing it, It's a little overrated. There are some minor problems in this game to me. Such as garbage wifi, CPU scales and some game modes. Other than those flaws, the game is decent.

Almost perfect! But that Smash Ball! That Smash Ball is so annoying! I hit it million's of times, and the ball doesn't break. CPU hit's it ONCE,and the stupid thing breaks. I turn it off for the sake of Sonic. Pokeballs suck now. There are 2 pokemon I would call good. Latios/Latias, and Metagross. Moltres would've been great if it wasn't so small! Suicune would've been good if it shot more than one beam. Items aren't as good as they used to be. Also the CPU level scale is all wrong. They made it in a way that your efforts are useless. Level 1 attacks way to often for an average low leveled CPU. Level 9 is practically psychic. Which is why I have such a hard time with Giant Diddy in the Subspace Emissary. Some of the characters are really hard to fight against. Level 1 Pikachu attacks like an average intermediate level. They spam certain attacks. The programers are making me feel that Pikachu shouldn't have been in the game. Another annoying thing about computer is that they jump way too much!!! They now run away when you are flashing after the recovery platform. This game is definitely not for beginners. Enough of computer and move to the dumb little engine, tripping. Did they honestly think that tripping was a good idea? In fact, it makes the game harder. Other than those problems, the game is fun to play with pretty simple controls for a fighting game. In my opinion, it has the easiest control out of all the fighting games I tried. Character rosters are good too. But I wish Pikachu WOULD DIE!!! Sonic was rushed in this game by fans. Now he has the CHEAPEST FINAL SMASH EVER!!! You happy now fans?

Graphics:10/10
I cannot complain here, the graphics are excellent! I wouldn't think of putting all of that denim detail on Mario and Luigi's overalls. The Subspace Emissary cutscene CG is out of this world. Especially that scene when Ridley was scraping Samus' head. Some of the brawl stages just look great. Like Island Delfino, Battlefield, Bridge of Eldin, Mario Circuit, Lylat Cruise, Spear Pillar, Castle Siege, and Green Hill Zone.

Controls:10/10
The most basic and best controls for a fighting game to me. Beginners could get accustomed to these controls faster than other fighters.

Solo Mode:5/10
The reason why I don't like solo mode is because of the CPU level scale. The Man Brawls get's hard too soon. I also don't think it's a good idea to put normal brawl characters during the brawl. The events are unimaginative. Come on, Giant Mario, Snake and Sonic? Cheap! Target test is also unimaginative. Now it depends on level, and not character. The only mode I like is the Subspace Emissary.

Group Mode:9/10
This game suffers that minor flaw, the CPU level. You should only play with friends or family. Special Brawl is cool. You can customize your fighter in many ways like making many kinds of plates in a buffet.

Wifi:2/10
I really looked forward to this mode when I first got the game. I play it, there is a terrible one second delay with every move. That's why I see some people have such a hard time fighting when I spectate. Plus, the connection of four people is terribly unstable. I gather four people. Either it connects, and the battle is choppier than chopped veggies. Or most of the time, it will say, YOUR CONNECTION FROM OTHER PLAYERS HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED. RETURNING TO THE MENU. Also, they should disable spamming *cough* Pikachu players *cough*, so the other fighters can enjoy their fight. One last problem, including CPU in wifi mode. I only go to wifi just to get away from CPU.

Pros

+ Great simple gameplay and graphics
+ Great set of music
+ Lots of collectables and can record matches
+ Can build levels
+ Actually has a Story Mode
+ Great character roster

Cons

- Tripping
- CPU level scale
- Some stages are just too gimmicky
- Smash Ball
- Pikachu
- Most of the Solo Modes
- Wifi and the spammers who ruins the fun

Overall: This game is not for beginners. If you want to play a Smash Bros game with the most reasonable CPU scale, play Melee. Get better and play this!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/05/10, Updated 04/26/10

Game Release: Super Smash Bros. Brawl (US, 03/09/08)