Review by ghangiskhan1

"I cannot thank Nintendo and everyone who works there enough for this wonderful and extremely impressive video game they have made for us gamers to enj"

I was twelve years old the day I picked up a copy of Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM) at a grocery store in Seattle, Washington. Except, that wasn't any EGM. It was the way I found out about The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. I had been on vacation so I didn't hear about it on the internet or anywhere else, but that magazine showed images, and I was amazed. I am a massive fan of Zelda games. I've played every single one except for the CD-I games, which I do not plan on playing. You can see I had extremely high expectations for this game, and those expectations were met. I am not disappointed with Twilight Princess, in fact, I'm going to call it the best game I've played in five years. And that's true.

I'm sure most people reading this review have played a Zelda game, and I'm positive you've at least heard of one unless you are blind and deaf but I'll go through the basics just in case you don't pay attention to Zelda games. You are playing as Link, and you need to save Zelda. Yeah, sounds like every other Zelda game right? Well no, because in Twilight Princess, an evil king named Zant invades and attempts to take over, and do more than that. (If I dig deeper into the story, I'll let out some major spoilers.) Well, he brings realms of twilight into Hyrule and when Link is exposed, he transforms into a wolf. Almost instantly, he is introduced to Midna who directs him as he tracks down Zant. Well, Zant isn't just any ordinary evil king. He is the Twilight King. When he invades the land of Hyrule, he and his troops of twilight monsters spread twilight throughout the lands. It gets sort of confusing here though. There is a light world and a twilight world. Both are really going on at the same time, it's just that when your in the Twilight World, you become a wolf and everyone else appears as small light orbs in which you need to put on your senses by tapping left on the D-Pad to see them. What does appear in the Twilight world are the monsters and a few select characters in the game. Think of the Twilight World as one big shadow to the normal world. I'll get back to the wolf and the atmosphere soon.

The game controls great, even with the Wii remote. There are a few select flaws but those are really only with the Nunchuck. Sometimes, especially when climbing up stuff, you will be pushing the analog stick up but Link will tilt left or right. That can get annoying. Also, sometimes it does that in combat which can get really annoying. Apart from that, the game controls great. Analog stick is used for movement, while the Z trigger on the back of the Nunchuck is used for Z-Targeting and the C-Stick is used to enter camera mode. You can lightly shake the Nunchuck to perform a spin attack also.

On the Wii remote, buttons 1 and 2 are used for the maps. They will take you into the map subscreen, or show a mini map on screen at the bottom corner of the screen. The A button is the action button in the game. If you're locked on, you can use it for a jump thrust. Otherwise, it is used for talking, getting on your horse, somersaulting, dashing, etc. The D-Pad is used to assign items too, while the B button is what you use to use the items. The Wii remote sensors are used for swinging the blade, aiming, etc. and it works very nicely. The plus button takes you to your equipment subscreen while the minus button takes you to your item subscreen. When you are on Epona, your horse, analog stick controls movement. The Z button is used to Z Target and C for camera. You can swing the remote to attack with your sword or to aim your bow on the horse. You can hit A to go faster until you run out of stamina. Then you will have to wait a few seconds to recharge. Wolf Link has about the same controls as human Link. You control his movement with the analog stick, Z Target with Z and control the camera with C. You can also do an attack by shaking the Nunchuck. A button is the action button, left/right on the D-pad is to use your senses and up on the D-pad is to talk to Midna. You can shake the Wiimote to attack. When you are a wolf, Midna will ride on your back. That is about all for the controls.

There is a lot of both familiar and unfamiliar territory and items of Twilight Princess. For example, the magic meter is no where to be seen, but somehow, Nintendo made it not so much missed. The addition of the wolf can get repetitive, until about a third of the way through the game when you have the ability to switch between human Link and wolf Link anytime. Trust me, most of the time you'll stick to Link. Also, the Twilight world is a big addition. It's only for about a third of the game, but you will spend a few hours there. When you are in the Twilight World you will have to collect things called ‘Tears of Light' in this item called ‘Vessel of Light.' To capture the tears, you must eliminate bugs marked on your map in the twilight and they will leave the tears once you kill them. Once you are finished getting all of the Tears you will turn back into a human and can enter the dungeon. You do this for the first three dungeons of the game.

With all the changes, losses, and additions, Twilight Princess is still incredibly fun to play. In fact, it is probably the most fun game in the series. But at the same time, it is not the best game. Some parts of the story feel unfinished and it the world and its characters don't have as much personality or aren't as memorable as the characters in Ocarina of Time and some of the other games. Even though it lacks slightly there, it still plays awesome and has a great storyline and is still very deep even though at sometimes you'll want more. To be honest, this game is extremely fun. Swinging the Wii Remote around may make you look like an idiot, but it's just a lot more fun for me than playing with a standard controller. Any way you play the game, it's going to be absolutely fantastic, but I'd give the Wii version the edge because it's really fun with it's different controls. The dungeons in this game are probably the best yet. They have amazing designs that look really well thought out. This game also has some clever puzzles that aren't overly hard, but do require some thinking to overcome them. The design is just downright fantastic and I'm amazed at how well Nintendo pulled it off. I seriously thought it was nearly impossible to do better dungeon designs than Ocarina of Time, but Twilight Princess just very well may have better dungeon designs, and that is saying a lot! Plus, the dungeons are all long, especially for a Zelda game. Each dungeon may take you a number of hours to beat, not just one hour. Heck, this whole game is extremely long.

In addition to the fantastic dungeons, expect to see some fantastic new allies and enemies that inhabit Hyrule. There are some really cool new memorable characters, some with a great sense of humor, that will make you really like this game. While Midna can get annoying, she can be funny and witty and times too, along with some of the characters in the towns and various areas. The enemies, however, can be quite brutal. The bosses are all huge, but surprisingly, they're not too hard until later in the game. Some of the enemies you'll encounter can sure pack a punch, but there is always a clever method to defeat even the smartest enemy with the many items this game has.

Speaking of items, expect to see the return of favorites such as the Master Sword, Bow, Hookshot, and many more along with a lot more new ones such as a disk that you stand on that takes you on certain paths that only it can go on, and even double Hookshots. The new items are all really cool and I'd really like to see them in future Zelda installments. At the same time, the Fire, Ice, and Light arrows are absent along with items such as the Lens of Truth. That is somewhat disappointing, but you'll soon get over it with the really cool new items to use. And just like before, expect to see a new item in each dungeon along with others you can find all over the world map. Also, just like before, you can enhance some of them by getting bomb and arrow upgrades which require you to do challenging minigames to unlock them. Expect to see little losses, and a lot new in Twilight Princess.

The graphics in Twilight Princess may not be comparable to graphics found on an Xbox 360 game or a Playstation 3 game, but for Gamecube/Wii graphics, it looks amazing. While the textures don't look too great, the character models and design of all the characters and enemies look awesome, and the bosses look amazing as well. As I pointed out earlier, the design of the whole game is fantastic and it has great backgrounds and moves at a fluent frame rate with little slowdown. The game is also incredibly detailed making it possibly the best looking game on both the Gamecube and the Wii. If not the best looking on those consoles, then right up there. The water graphics look downright amazing and so does almost everything else, I especially like classic areas like the Market and Hyrule Castle and how they have been redone completely with new paths and designs, and they look amazing. The graphics in this game look fantastic.

I've been hearing quite a bit of complaints about the sound in this game because the music is all midis, it's not orchestrated like many other video game soundtracks are. To be honest, I however loved the music in this game and it really does have some of the best music in any Nintendo video game. I got past the fact that it was not orchestrated, and it's not really all that noticeable either. There are a few recycled tracks, but bits and pieces have been added on, and there are a whole bunch of new songs added too. There is still no voice acting which will definitely disappoint quite a bit of people, but you hear the occasional grunts and noises from Link and other characters. The sound effects are great, everything sounds even better than in past Zelda games and there is a lot of detail there such as footsteps and the horse's sounds, rolling, walking through grass, etc. The lack of voice acting is a bummer, but other than that, it's a good sounding game.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is also easily the longest game in the series. If you rush through the game it will probably take you anywhere from 35 to 50 hours depending on what kind of Zelda player you are. If you're good and fast, it will probably take you 35 hours or less, and if you take your time then it will take you a good 45 hours or more. Keep in mind, that is just the main quest, there are a lot of extras such as a challenging side dungeon and countless other side quests that will keep you coming back for more. And, like every Zelda game before it, you are going to want to play this game more than once. This game never got old for me, I still love playing it. Of course, it's the most fresh the first time through, but there are always new sights to see that will keep you playing it for a long time. It's the longest Zelda game to date and probably the one that you'll spend the most time with next to Ocarina of Time.

Twilight Princess definitely lives up to its hype. I waited years since I heard about it until its release date, I had been following it since I was in sixth grade. This was the most excitement I had ever had for a video game in my life and it lived up. It may not be the best Zelda game, but it is one of them, and it is the most fun Zelda game either way. I don't care what other people have to say about Twilight Princess, or my views on the game, because in my mind, it is one of the greatest video games to have ever been created, and I cannot thank Nintendo and everyone who works there enough for this wonderful and extremely impressive video game they have made for us gamers to enjoy. Play this game as soon as you can, you won't regret it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/27/07