Question from Perfectchaos007

My new LCD TV has delay. how can I fix it?

I'm playing Super Mario Bros. right now on the Wii's VC and theres at least a tenth of a second delay on the controls which just won't fly for SMB. Timing is everything in SMB, just try playing SMB 2 (JPN) with a split second delay.

Any way I can fix this?

SheeEttin asked for clarification::

Does this happen to all games, or just this one?
What's the TV's make and model?

t3ht4ilzd0ll asked for clarification::

Are you playing in progressive scan mode? If you aren't, see if you can get a hold of some Wii component cables and switch to progressive scan (in the Wii Settings menu); bypassing the deinterlacing process reduces the delay drastically. If it isn't that, then you should take a look at your TV's pixel response time; 8 milliseconds is the slowest you can afford for gaming. And like others have suggested, look around in your TV's menu for a "game mode". Those are usually good if all else fails (and your set has a good one).

corbin37 asked for clarification::

do you have an HDTV?

yoshifan38834 asked for clarification::

My wiimote wont point at the screen how i fix dat?

Answers

Nhatters1314 answered:

Check to see if the TV has some kind of gaming mode/setting.
1 4

Filonia answered:

I would check to see if it is just that particular game. If it is just Wii games, you might have to adjust the sensor bar or sensitivity settings in the Wii menu.
1 4

bigboyblu answered:

I had that problem using the wii remote on that game. It doesn't have a delay if you use the classic controller.
0 4

Lee7 answered:

Try Game Cube controller
0 6

SweetSolBrotha answered:

It is your LCD television. All tv's have a motion response time. Motion response is the length of time between an input command and when it appears on the television. LCD and Plasma tv's have a higher motion response time that rear projection or DLP televisions. There is nothing you can do about it other than get another tv. Though, I doubt that is a viable option.
1 4

hylianarmy answered:

Check for a lag calibration setting in the Wii Settings menu.
1 3

crddrc answered:

If your tv has a lcd input you can buy a wii vga cable off ebay and it eliminated lag on my tv
0 3

vtwesley answered:

HDTVs have a filter to make video feeds look better, but usually requires the video to buffer about 2-5 seconds ahead of time. This causes delays, especially on cheaper HDTVs. You need to find out how to turn off this filter. Sometimes turning this filter off is doable through something called "game mode".

Some people are talking about refresh times, cable types, and one person even mentioned using different controllers. None of that matters or frankly even makes sense.

Some feeds are not filtered by default (i.e. VGA) but you don't need an expensive VGA converter to make this work.
3 3

anikom15 answered:

There are a variety of reasons this could be happening:

1. The wiimote itself may be delayed due to interference, playing closer to the sensor bar can help.
2. LCD's have bad input lag, use a CRT(tube TV), if you don't have one avaliable, using EDTV mode with component cables can help.
3. If it's an HDTV, turn off the feed filter
0 2

Link484 answered:

vtwesley's anwser seems to be the most correct.

I had the same delay issue when I was playing on a HDTV with the older Virtual Console games.

The sensor bar doesn't matter, Virtual Console games don't even use that. It's only used when you move the pointer on the screen, so obviously none of the old games.
1 2

Charizard_Power answered:

t3ht4ilzd0ll is correct in his statements concerning progressive scan and lag. When playing at 480i, your HDTV is receiving an interlaced image. While CRT TVs display interlaced images by default, LCD TVs do not. Therefor, they are forced to convert the interlaced image into a progressive one, which causes a split-second lag.

The solution to this problem is to use component cables with your Wii. This will allow you to use 480p, which is already progressive, meaning that your TV will not have to convert the interlaced into progressive. Don't forget to set your TV resolution to 480p after you have the component cables connected.
0 1

yoshifan38834 answered:

I got a hdtv
0 2

eyeball226 answered:

vtwesley and t3ht4ilzd0ll are both correct. You're in trouble if you're in Europe or Australia as the PAL region Virtual Console is locked to 576i which means you can't display it in progressive scan (480p). Your only option then is to see if your TV has a game mode.
0 1

roy_newell answered:

LOL at sensor bar. The sensor bar is 4 infra red led lights, the only reason it is even connected to the wii is to provide the led's with a power source. Test it for yourself, don't plug a sensor bar in, just put two candles on top your tv (obviously lit), they give off the same spectrum. Helped me out a few times when I had a wireless sensor bar and the batteries died.

Therefore, it makes absoloutly no difference how close you stand to the sensor bar (unless you are pointing and there are other infra red source in the room)
1 1

shadowless1758 answered:

Turn the 'digital natural motion' feature of your LCD off. Problem will be resolved. If your tv does not have that exact option find something that is similar and turn it off. It has nothing to do with the response time of the TV, you just have to play with the settings.
0 1