Question from McGuirex3

Why am I getting (antialiasing) i.e. stair-stepping/ jagged-edges) w/ new HDTV?

That is the (stair-stepping/jagged-edge affect) now that I bought and set-up my (same-old)-Wii-system to my new Sony 46 HDTV?

Yes I've changed/tried two different brand-new ((component))-video-cables, changed the video-res, from 480i to (480p) and set the Wii system to wide-screen 16:9! What else needs to be done?!!!!!!!!! E.g. in my HDTV settings?!!! I don't think I should have/need to set/change anything with it but who know?

Btw another reason I'm asking this is because with this very (same) Wii-system everything looked/played great with my ((former Sony 35' analog, or better known as tube-TV))!!!!!!!!!!!! E.g. little to no jagged-edegs at-all, very-clear and crisp looking picture. (will for the Wii anyway lol). (Depinding of-course on the game, i.e. how old it is and the like)!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway hope this is not to-much?!!!!!!!!!! Please help!!! I've stop playing my Wii all to gather for I think 6 or 8 months now!!

Happy-gaming all!,

Jonathan

Ya I understand that but wile I'm playing a new/new-gen Wii game it looks as if I'm playing a (old)-Game-Cube game! That can't be right! Because I've seen wayyyyy too many Wii games being played on the web e.g. here and or gametrailers or the like and they (all) look far better than what I'm seeing/getting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think it could be the Wii-hardware because it looked reallllllllllllllly-good on my 36" Sony TUBE-TV just a view months ago!!!!!!!! And yes I ((((know it's not an HD-console/yet)))) And that was with composite-cables you know the old (red,yellow, white) type! Some one please me w/ this!

From: PAL60 4 years ago

Hi there.

To clarify your question, anti-aliasing is actually the process of smoothing the rough edges of on-screen images; aliasing refers to the jagged outlines themselves.

Your problem basically arises from sending the Wii's standard-definition (480p), analogue-video output to a high-definition (1080p) digital display. (It is like taking a thumbnail image on a PC and stretching it to fill the screen - it looks blocky and pixellated because of the low resolution of the original picture.)

This issue does not occur with an analogue CRT TV because it has the same screen resolution as the Wii and also tends to soften or blur the picture slightly (especially when using a composite-video cable), which disguises the lack of anti-aliasing in the game's graphics.

However, HDTVs do usually offer various types of picture-processing effects to try and enhance the appearance of standard-definition video. If you have not already done so, you could go into your HDTV on-screen menus and experiment with the different Widescreen Modes and Picture Modes (Game, Cinema, etc.) to see if they make Wii games look any better. (Check your TV manual for details if you are not sure how to do this.)

If this does not improve the situation then you need some extra hardware to upgrade the console's video output. If your display has a PC (D-sub/VGA) input, you could try using a component-video-to-VGA converter, which will upscale the Wii's 480p picture to 1080p HDTV quality.

I use an XCM 1080p Mega-Cool VGA Box with my Wii to play games at 1600 x 1200 resolution on a CRT computer monitor, which works very well and is also compatible with my GameCube, PS2, Xbox and DVD player.

Please note that this is an expensive solution. If you do decide to order one from a website, check their Terms & Conditions first to make sure that you can return the product for a refund, in case its performance with your HDTV is not satisfactory.

I hope that this advice helps.

It's because it's still not high definition. Being on an HDTV with the cables may make it look better, but it won't completely remove the fact that it's not being played in High-Def.