Review by Glutted

"My gripe about the hype"

The Wii is a Video-Game system designed and manufactured by Nintendo. It was built to compete with the Sony Playstation 3 and the Microsoft Xbox 360. The Wii was released in the US on November 19th, 2006, and everyone was really excited. The Wii, like the DS, was very experimental. Nintendo's philosophy is that graphics don't matter, the only thing that matters is the gameplay. Unfortunately, many gamers seem to disagree with that, and that is why they buy systems with better graphics.

Ah, the graphics. The graphics are only a minor jump from the Gamecube's graphics (about only 1.5x stronger). If you are not very picky and you were satisfied with the Gamecubes graphics, you will probably be pleased. The Wii's graphics have a lot more potential than past-gen games like Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil 4 had, and games like Call of Duty 3 prove that. What disappoints me is that Nintendo realized gamers want good graphics, but they didn't do anything about it.

Controller: 7/10

The Wii Remote will be the primary controller for Wii games. It is like a TV remote. You can attach a control stick to it. It is wireless, thank god. Some call it revolutionary, others call it a gimmick. Whatever it is, it is very original. The controller has a built-in rumble feature. It is sensitive to motion, and it can tell what position its in. It also uses infrared sensors to see where you are pointing at on the TV—an excellent feature for first person shooters. You may like the controller or you may hate it, I recommend trying it at the store or trying a friend's.

There is also a Virtual Console controller (controller you use for playing downloaded games). It is a lot like the SNES controller. It is pretty cool. There were a few things that disappointed me. First, the cord is only 3 feet long! Does Nintendo expect you to play with your nose touching the TV screen!? Second, The cord comes out from the bottom of the controller, not the top, like most other controllers. That made me worry that if you play with the cord tight, it will bend the cord until it internally breaks.

Games: 10/10

Just like all the DS games revolving around the toutchscreen, all the Wii games seem to rely on the “revolutionary” controller. As of now, all the Wii games seem to be made just to show off the controller. Since lately Nintendo has been focusing on making games to appeal to all ages, the Wii has anything from Super Monkey Ball to Resident Evil. They really have a great variety of Wii games.

For me, the controller made playing games without messing up every 5 seconds hard. Very hard. I find its controller to be over-sensitive but accurate. It was very hard for me to get the hang of playing with it. It might be different for you, so I recommend you try out the Wii before getting it.

The Wii has some really cool features to it, even though it can't play DVDs or CDs. First, you can pay 5 to 10 bucks to download NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, and Turbografx-16 games. It is backwards-compatible with Gamecube discs. You can upload photos and Photoshop them, browse the Internet for free, and check the weather on your Wii.

Pros & Cons

Pros:
-Affordable
-Suitable for all ages
-Internal memory
-Wireless Internet
-You can download old Nintendo games

Cons:
-Not the best graphics
-You have to pay for game downloads

Overall the Wii is a good-looking, well-functioning toy. It had some flaws or weird things Nintendo did to it, but just look past those, and see what the Wii truly is. This is an affordable, worthwhile investment for you. You will probably have a blast playing the Wii with your friends. Defniately try it out before you buy it, just to be safe.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 11/25/06