Review by FlipOdeon

"Wii will have fun with the Wii (and not just with the name)"

At last the “next generation” has become the current generation. With all three companies putting their best foot forward everyone will have something to enjoy. Nintendo's entry is the surprisingly innovative and very fun Wii. Nintendo is looking to make gaming appealing for everyone mainly with their new control scheme. But there is more to the Wii than just the control. So let's take a look:

DESIGN:
Let's start with the look of the console. The design is very sleek and stylish. It can fit into the smallest spaces so you can easily place it anywhere. Sockets for cables are only seen at the back and other sockets (Ex. For the Gamecube controller) is under what plastic covers that can be lifted. There is no noisy fan and the system doesn't get very hot which is nice considering its on 24/7.

The only negative I can think of is that the blue light at the CD entry isn't on all the time which would have made the Wii look more stylish but I guess it's no loss (it saves electricity). Overall, this is a very good design.

GRAPHICAL CAPABILITIES:
This is the main category that Wii suffers in. Without getting into numbers, the Wii has basically as much (and maybe a bit more) graphical capabilities as the Xbox. The graphics don't come anywhere near the Xbox 360 or the Playstation 3. I would have really liked if Nintendo had given just as much effort for graphics as the PS3 or Xbox 360.

Although, this loss of high graphical calibre may not be too much of a bad thing considering that most first party games for the Wii (which is the main attraction) have characters of the “cartoony” nature. After all, how much more realistic do people want Mario look? Then again, people will want third party games to look more realistic. So overall, it could have been much better but it's not too bad.
Score: 7/10

CONTROLLER:
Ahh, this is the bread and butter of the Wii. The controller is basically a remote control that can sense motion. Besides that, you can twist it and tilt it for even more movement. This allows the “WiiMote” to be used as almost any object: tennis racket, gold club, gun etc. The fact that the controller has rumble and a speaker makes it seem even more like the object it is imitating. This controller allows for so many possibilities and offers new ways to play old game formulas.

Perhaps the most positive thing about the controller is that because you are imitating motions that your character does in the game, you are expelling more energy than you would pressing buttons. This could perhaps lead to healthier gamers? Overall, the new control system is innovative and extremely fun.

There are a few negatives however, one of them being that the nunchuk and Wii remote are sold separately. Also the wire connecting the two parts is shorter than expected and may limit movement if you can't control your actions.

ONLINE:
As of right now (Dec, 2006) the online is average. There is no multiplayer online game play available for Wii games. However you can use the online capabilities to upgrade your Wii and to download virtual console games which are old games from the past. There are few Virtual console games up for download at the moment but as time passes Nintendo will add more. The WiiConnect24 feature allows your Wii to be connected online at all times checking for new content. You can also make your own personal avatar (Mii) and share them with friends.

What I'm basing this score on is basically Nintendo's promises. They promise a web browser, more Wii channels (updates for weather/news channel) and online game play. Considering that a lot of people would love the multiplayer first party game fun to be taken online, Nintendo delivering on their promises would lead to success. I just hope they don't make the online play friend code centric and that they will allow for USB chat.

Overall, much potential here but it's not very good at the moment.
Score: 7/10

GAMES:

What can I say? This is Nintendo's first party games with a new way of playing. Will it work? Only time will tell but as of now it works very well. The only thing I worry about is third party support as the new control scheme could leave third party companies making ports without much thought into the control system. So far, the third party support is decent. The new controller adds a whole new dimension to game play. The control leaves many possibilities for developers; all they have to do is find a way to make it fun.

Final comments:
I think the Wii has great potential. If Nintendo follows through on their promises of online features and good online game play this will be a very fun system. I am truly hoping for good third party support and by good I mean not just ports with a new control scheme but new games developed around the control scheme. Now, just because I liked the system doesn't necessarily mean you will. I suggest trying it out in stores or your friend's houses and make sure you try more than one game!
Overall, the Wii is very fun which is all that matters in the end.
OVERALL SCORE: 8/10