Review by into_the_heart

"Wii. Epic win or Epic dissappointment?"

I bought the Wii hoping for a fun, new, and cheap console. Can't say I was happy with it. It was ok, but I wish I had bought an Xbox 360 or even a Playstation 3.

Price 10/10
Why I bought it. Why it attracted so many people. $250, how can you resist? Its much cheaper than the 360 and the PS3. The games are $50, comparable to the $60 games of the 360 and the PS3. Of course you'll probably need to buy a NES controller, though thats ignorable and not even required. To get the full value you'll need AT LEAST 2 Wiimotes+Nunchucks. The Wii is much more fun with someone by your side.

Controls 8/10
New. Innovative. Motion Sensor. Move and the character moves with you. Although this is fun at first the novelty runs off quickly. It remains fun but it won't be anything special and it'll be just another controller. However, there are time where the sensor goes nuts.

Build 8/10
Seems sturdy, and it doesn't look like it'd break easy (as far as game consoles go). Looks nice too but that doesn't really matter.

Graphics 6/10
On first glance you barely notice any change from the original Gamecube. Its slightly better, but hardly noticeable. I was not disappointed however, because I knew full well I would not be walking into a graphics monster. Still, graphics are still nice.

Hardware 6/10
Pretty poor. It has little space on the actual Wii. You'll have to buy a memory card or delete games you don't play. It can play Gamecube games with no problem as far as I've seen. I've had no disk read errors as of yet.

Online 3/10
I think there are a few games that go online but most games aren't jumping on the idea. The Wii is heavily single player. Playing online is very limited. No voice chatting, I'm not even sure if you CAN chat (haven't played a single online game myself). From what I hear its also somewhat laggy. As for going on the internet, its not impossible, but use a computer. You CAN set parental controls on it. Online is free, but don't go jumping for joy. Its not that great.

Speaking of online, the Virtual Console. Nintendo's online store. From a few screen shots, it looks as if they turned the graphics DOWN from the Nintendo 64. You can buy NES, SNES, and N64 games off of the VC. You'll definitely need a memory card. Many of them are quite large. I think the prices are slightly expensive, by a dollar or two for the respective consoles. I can't remember the prices off the top of my head.

You can go on the internet, look up news, and find what the weather is in your area. Its fine but I'm not exactly going to go on my Wii to find out if its gonna rain tomorrow. Something you do if your already on it.

Lineup 8/10
The Wii has a line up that consists of a few great games and the rest are decent or somewhat entertaining games. Fighting games and RPGs is what the Wii mostly consists of, both of which I'm not a complete fan of.

Overall 5/10
Its ok, not that great. I wish I'd saved my money for a 360 and some games. Some people might like it, especially those who don't game seriously, but for hardcore gamers (or even people who play a good amount) I suggest not to get it.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 10/29/07

Game Release: Wii Hardware (US, 11/19/06)