Review by cagedcrado

"Unbiased review from owner of every modern console"

I have had every Nintendo system ever made so far, all of them have been excellent besides the Virtual Boy, so when the Wii was about to come out and was going to have a Zelda game as a launch title, I was skeptical but had to have it.

So I buy one and take it home. It took about a month and a half to find one, checking stores near daily, so my level of anticipation was quite high by the time I opened the box.

My first impression was that the control was pretty fun and I was able to get my girlfriend to play and my parents.

After you play with the motion controls for a while, you will start to notice that it only loosely picks up your movements. The Sixaxis in the Playstation 3 controllers is about as motion sensitive. For instance, it will detect slight movements and a swing. Even the angle you hold the remote, to a degree. Without the WiiMotion adapter, the motion sensitivity is only so-so.

Even though the motion control isn't as good as it sounds, it is a unique way to play games. It either works entirely, or it fails completely. Wii Sports is a very good example of fun mini games and how to make the motion control fun. Zelda is okay, but could have been better. The best part about Zelda is that you can aim your hookshot and bow because the remotes can be pointed at the screen as a type of cursor thanks to an infared camera in the front of the remote and a sensor bar that sits on top of your television. Other games just don't work at all and shouldn't have used motion controls.

For instance, I have played Marvel Ultimate Alliance on most of the other systems it is out for, however, the Wii version is by far the worst because to utilize the motion control, you have to constantly waggle the remote every time you want to punch. Imagine how many times you punch in a beat em up game like that and then imagine if you were flailing your arm around instead.

Mario Galaxy has very good motion controls, it takes a minimalist approach and uses the waggling only when necessary or when it adds to the game, and when it is done like that it is fairly enjoyable.

Motion Control: 7/10

It is good when it works, but horrible when it is overused or done unnecessarily.

Now, let's talk about the console itself. It looks pretty nice, you can put it vertical or horizontal and it comes with a stand to make it more stable when vertical. The games are pushed into the disk slot on the front of the system. Occasionally, the system takes an overly long amount of time grabbing the disks and pushing them out when you press eject.

After only one month of use (A lot of use mind you), my Wii started freezing and getting disk read errors, especially while playing Gamecube games. I sent it in and it was repaired for free, but I expected more out of a Nintendo system, since most of their hardware has been known for long lifespans and high dependability. (My SNES, N64, Gameboy and Gamecube all still work. NES doesn't, sadly.)

Wii's hardware specifications are also pretty poor compared to the other systems, so the graphics are barely better than Gamecube, graphics aren't everything but don't buy this expecting to fully utilize your HDTV or be wowed by the lifelike qualities of the characters.

My system also runs very hot while it is on standby and you have to disable the blinking blue disk slot if you decide to play it in a place you plan to sleep.

As a plus, the Wii operating system is probably the best looking and easiest to use out of any of the next gen consoles. It consists of a bunch of little TV screens with different things like a weather channel, the shop channel where you can buy old games, the news channel, a calendar you can use and access to all of the games that you've downloaded.

Hardware: 8/10

Disappointing, lower quality compared to other Nintendo systems and it should have been at least a little more powerful so that it could at least be considered next gen graphics. Also, the hardware is not worth anything close to what they sell the system for, whereas either of the other two systems are worth at least as much if not more than what they cost.

Now, the number one reason to buy any console is that it has great games. Wii does have some good games. Mario Galaxy is pretty fun, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is great, Super Smash Bros. Brawl is decent, Metroid, Resident Evil 4 (if you like that series), No More Heroes and Wii Sports is pretty fun, for what it is. These games are fun and memorable.

Most of the rest of the games are absolutely freaking terrible pieces of crap. I cannot stress this enough.

Most of the games are about as good as games you can play FOR FREE in your web browser and consist of flicking the remote in a way not even close to the action on the screen. They SUCK.

Not only does this type of game suck, they represent 95% of the games on the system. I have owned the Wii for just over two years now and I have bought 5 games for it. I have had a PS3 for five months and I have 7 games for it. I have had my Xbox 360 for a month or two less than my Wii and have about 30 games for it. (360 has cheaper games than ps3 overall)

The Wii virtual console does have some good games on it, but chances are that if you've been into video games for any amount of time, you have played them before. Virtual console releases the games too slowly and is missing many of the classics that could really improve the system. Most notably, to this point and to my knowledge, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask hasn't been released and neither have any Final Fantasy titles.

Wii also has WiiWare, with some really good titles like Mega Man 9, and then some more games that are typical crap Wii games that are just gimmicks with no thought at all put into them.

Wii can run Gamecube games, if you can find a controller. Nintendo is not able to sell Gamecube controllers for the time being, but it shouldn't be that hard to find a used one or a third party controller somewhere. You can pickup Gamecube games fairly cheap, if you don't already have them, and they run flawlessly on the Wii because it is fully backwards compatible. There are some truly great games on the Gamecube that a lot of people missed out on because the system wasn't as popular as the Playstation 2, which is sad, because I would argue that the Gamecube has more games that are worthwhile than the much more popular Wii.

Game Library: 2 / 10 If you don't have a Gamecube, NES, SNES, N64: 7 / 10

The games are too low of quality and too expensive for what you get.

Overall, the Wii is all hype and no substance. If you are just a casual gamer and don't care about cutting edge graphics or a large amount of great games, Wii might be the system for you.

If you really want to play Mario, Zelda and Metroid, your urge better be unyielding, because I am telling you right now that you will only find crap on this system besides those games.

Wii is enjoyable as a second or third console that you occasionally pop in a great game and play, but it will get boring quickly as an only system. Even as a third system, I'd say the money is better spent on a few more Xbox 360 and PS3 games.

Overall: 6 / 10

Proof that just because something is popular doesn't mean that it is good.

Nintendo is a bunch of sell outs, but good for them to be making money and being popular again.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 03/02/09

Game Release: Wii Hardware (US, 11/19/06)