Review by StephenYap3

"White is my favorite color, but other than that, this could have been better"

In case if you haven't seen the score I gave the Wii console, I gave this console a 5 out of 10. I still am a fan of Nintendo and I do enjoy their consoles and games and all, but there are just a lot of things for even a seventh generation console that they could have put much more effort on, same like how Microsoft and Sony done theirs. I mean, were you expecting to play your DVDs and CDs on the Wii? How about being able to dress up your Mii for fun? And will you find a ton of good games to download? No, no, and maybe. Anyways, I review a game console, known as the Wii.

Background: 7/10
The graphics on the Wii main menu are quite good and all, but the one thing that bothers me is that you cannot customize the background. I mean, why can't we put cool pictures in the background like pictures of our pet dogs, our high school photos, and much more like that? What if a family member wanted to put a picture of their childhood or their grandparents on the Wii background? Plus, why can't we change the color of the background at least, instead of just being flat out white? I know white is my favorite color and all, but it would be nice if Nintendo could think ahead and start heading into customization features for their customers.

Music: 7/10
The music is nice, but there is just one problem: You cannot change the music either, but at least for this case the music is quite good enough. It has its magic touch, but other than that, nothing else to say here.

Software: 3/10
Nintendo did have a ton of quality-made titles in their past years, but most of the titles on the Wii seem to be made either with quantity or for money, in my eyes. 2006's library was just the beginning, 2007 was kind of stale, 2008 was a huge moneymaking disappointment, 2009 began a new life yet kind of flawed, and 2010 was probably the Wii's best year yet. Most of the Wii's titles were just disappointing for the console with titles like Carnival Games, Iron Chef America, iCarly, and other titles that you don't see in your every day newspaper in the good games section, yet it was the only console to play good games like Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and a few others.

But what bothers me the most with the Software part of the Wii in this review is the lack of DVD/CD player functionality. Sure Nintendo did not use it with the Game Cube since the discs were half the size of a normal disc, but come on. I would've wanted to watch awesome movies on my Wii with James Cameron's Avatar, Uncle Buck, Finding Nemo, and whatever good movie you may find. Or even listen to good music like Chris Brown, Bon Jovi, and many other artists I like. If you have a bunch of DVDs and CDs on your shelf, but not have a DVD/CD player, get a DVD/CD player before getting the Wii. Well, at least the Wii has Netflix...

Have saved Wii game data to your Wii, but cannot find a memory card for the Wii? Unfortunately, the Wii accepts SD cards and the Wii can only handle one SD card with a capacity of 2GB or lower, and any higher than that will not work. The SD cards are mainly used for the preinstalled Photo Channel on the Wii, which I will get to later on, while another example would be Super Smash Bros Brawl's external data like Replays, Snapshots, Custom Stages, and that alone is pretty much it. Did I also forget to mention that some of the other Wii game data cannot be moved to even a 2GB SD card?

Wii Remote: 7/10
The Wii Remote itself can easily be played like an NES controller to bring back the feel of the old days, but it terms of innovation, no. The built-in memory card in each remote holds up to 10 Miis with you, plus it holds one Control configuration scheme from Brawl. I won't say this is a bad idea, but it would be nice if the Wii Remote had an external memory card slot for its own memory cards to hold more than just those two things. For the least part, the remote has a Home button to open the Home menu to toggle your remote settings. These settings include adjusting the sound speaker, rumble feature, and especially change the player positions of your Wii Remote.

Wii Classic Controller accessory: 10/10
Pretty much the only thing that the Wii manages to do the best on is the Wii Classic Controller accessory, which is the SNES controller with two analog pads, two ZL and ZR shoulder buttons on top, and one home button. This is also required to play SNES virtual console titles, but optional for other compatible Wii titles like Super Smash Bros Brawl and a few others like Goldeneye Wii.

Wii Classic Controller Pro accessory: 2/10
It is the same as the original Wii Classic Controller, though this one is disappointing. The Pro accessory looks exactly like the Playstation 2's controller, lacking the L3 and R3 buttons. Maybe this is to attract more gamers to the Wii, though I found this to be unoriginal and bad enough that the original Classic Controller discontinued for this.

--Channels--
And now, I review the channels on the Wii.

Mii Channel: 5/10
The online functionality is pretty awesome in this channel, but the customization here is too small. The Miis here are just people's heads on clay-like figures and as for the customization feature it seems that you can only change the heads, faces, and the shirt color only. I would have wanted to put clothes on my Mii if the channel had clothes for your Mii to wear and you could put Miis on your SD Card for taking them to another person's Wii with ease, plus it would be nice if you could give your Mii some hats and even more accessories like backpacks, belts, and much more, but it seems Nintendo is all about simplicity and although I respect that, sometimes simplicity is not good.

Photo Channel: 9/10
This is pretty much the best preinstalled channel for the Wii, which you could get any pictures from your SD Card and just go away at the drawing with a ton of customization like turning the picture black and white and especially drawing your picture. Other players can join you too, which also adds more fun to making new pictures and even better that your design on this channel will not overwrite your older photo, which is pretty nice. And also, you or other players can play a puzzle game with any picture, ranging from various numbers of pieces to put together and compete for the fastest time possible. The fun runs dry after a while.

Wii Shop Channel: 4/10
The only things you'll find here are WiiWare and Virtual Console games and channels. WiiWare titles are just shorter games and only a very few of all the WiiWare titles are good to buy. Virtual Console contains old games from the NES to the N64, but the problems with Virtual Console is that you cannot modify the controls, they're emulated lowly with softer sounds and/or unusual graphics, they don't feature new stuff, the imported titles are not translated, and worst of all, there are not enough good oldies to download, even today. For instance, the good ol' Tetris Attack, Super Mario All Stars, and Earthbound are not on there and I would have really gotten a Wii for those reasons. The channels are just additional channels for your Wii. Nothing special.

Weather Channel: 1/10
If you don't have cable to your TV and have Wii Connect 24, then this is for you. Otherwise, you can just turn off your Wii and turn the dial to the Weather Channel on cable.

News Channel: 1/10
Same problem with the weather channel, if you have cable, then you don't have to use this.

--Final Words--
I will not say the Wii is bad or anything since I am a fan of Nintendo and I do like it for a bit, but I'm just saying that it could have been a lot better in my opinion. And if I ever had enough money to buy an Xbox 360 or a Playstation 3, I would and somehow get a break from the Wii and play those titles like Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts for 360 and especially the new Ratchet and Clank Future series for PS3. There are probably a lot of people thinking that Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 are much better than the Wii in many ways possible, but I wouldn't worry since everybody is entitled to their own opinions.

Recently, Nintendo announced the eighth generation console, known for now as Project Café, and they stated that they promise the new console will get things back on track for theirs and the customers' futures. Hopefully their upcoming console will solve all of our problems, with the main problem being the disability to play DVDs and CDs.

Score: 5.3 out of 10

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 05/02/11

Game Release: Wii Hardware (US, 11/19/06)