Review by ChaosWeevil13

"Should you belive the hype?"

Red Steel. I remember when this game was announced. One of the most hyped games for the Wii.

But does it live up to expectations?

This game uses the Unreal 2.5 engine, somewhat aged, though not bad. Textures range from beautifully to blurry, though somewhere in the middle is more common. Particle effects are done well, though multiple explosions (There will be a many times that there are) can slow the framerate. Faces are quite good, lip synching is not bad but I've seen better.

Enemy AI is good, they'll flip over tables for cover and shoot explosive things next to you (That gets really annoying until you memorize what's explosive and what's not), and they WILL surround you and hide. What's more, you only have about 1.5x the HP they do. Fortunately for you, all you have to do is not get shot for about 10 seconds (Harder than it sounds), and your health bar will fill right back up.

Controls: 3.5/10-9/10
WOAH, wait and read this bit before you assume anything. The first rating is the controls for the first 30 min. of the game. You'll have a hard time mastering the new system, especially if you took the time to get really good at Dual-Analog aiming, such as TimeSplitters 2 or Halo.

But once you get used to it, it'll be near-impossible to go back to standard console FPSs. Aiming in fun, the only reason it doesn't get a 10/10 in this section is how you have to move the Wiimote back and forth to zoom in and out.

Let's face it, the story's a bit cliche. Once we get past that, it's not horrible, but nothing great either. Typical save your girlfriend from the evil dude type of thing, but add in a few twists and some yakuza. Yes, there are both “Good” and “Bad” yakuza, also.

Sound: 8.5/10
The sounds are very good, voice acting is much, much better than some games I've played. Enemies shout at you (don't play this around really little kids, some of them cuss at you), the volume dims if you get hurt too badly, and and speaker in the Wiimote is really only used for reloading sounds, but for me it really adds to the game.

Oh, and footsteps are present and change depending on what you're walking on.

Total: 8/10

Rent, pass, or buy?
Rent, but make sure you play for at least an hour before you judge the game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/25/06