Review by conundrum12

"Firefights are a blast with the new controller"

Red Steel, one of the most anticipated games for the Wii, is out. And I have it.

Game-play: 8/10

I'll start off with the big one. As the only game designed for the Wii from the beginning out on launch day, Red Steel makes great use of the new controller. It's difficult to shoot well at the first time you pick up the controller, but by the time I was out of the first part of the story, I was playing better than I ever did with duel analog. The motions are very nice, and are intuitive. Sword Fighting gets old quick, as it always turns into a massive swing fest. There's times where you go through the opponents sword, and times where you get blocked when its a million miles away.

This isn't comparing with PS3 or XBOX 360, but the graphics just seem ugly. Maybe I'm just not a fan of the Japanese style. Occasionally you will see someones hands sticking out of a door, which really doesn't help you get into the game.

Sounds: 9/10

The sounds are top notch. The Wii-mote controllers built in speaker is incredible, and a quick little reload sound coming from your 'gun' works more ways in realism than you can imagine. My one major grudge against the sounds is the needless obscenities that are shouted in standard combat. It seems every guy says the same cuss word...it gets old.

Same old cliche story we've all heard a million times before, but with a slightly different twist, which I wont spoil. The cut scenes in comic book style are well done, and in my opinion, the opening movie is one of the best I've seen in a video game in a long time.

Multi-player: N/A
I haven't tried this yet, as I have only one controller.

Replay Value: 7/10

The story would get old, but thats not why im playing this game now. Im playing for the awesomely awesome firefights, which never get old.

Overall, Great game, If a Red Steel 2 (Purple Steel?) comes about, I'd buy it.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 12/04/06