Review by Snuffy_Mccrack

"A taste of things to come"

Now, you may be thinking "WHAT THE HELL!? I HEARD THIS GAME STINKS!" Well, the truth of the matter is, it's a launch title. You can't expect perfection from a game that's trying new things. Take into consideration the fact that the developers didn't have anything previously to go on.

Game-play: 9/10

Now, while most people think that this game controls weirdly, I'll put your worries to rest... or somewhat to rest. As far as I'M concerned, the game-play of THIS particular game is similar to that of a P.C. first-person-shooter. Being a fan of P.C. first-person-shooters, my opinion may be a bit biased. While some complain that their wii-mote causes the gun aiming reticle to spin all of the damned place, I find that this isn't the case.

Storyline: 5/10

The story of this game is... bland, at best. We've seen the whole "rescue the princess" and the "OMG the princess is at another castle!!!1!" So you find yourself saying "What in the hell!" Honestly, how could they have been thinking? At any rate, when you're picking off Yakuza scum, you aren't generally thinking about your girlfriend, or her father, so the story isn't really that important.

Well, I can't really say much about the sound. The guns sound like... guns, and explosions like... explosions. The voice-acting can stray from "Wow!" to "Meh..."
in about five seconds. Be warned though, small children should probably be taken out of the room whilst Daddy is getting his fix of death, as the enemies can cuss at you on occasion. The coolest feature of the sound though, is the reloading of your weapons. The sound comes from the wii-mote, adding to the illusion that you're actually holding gun, which, you have to admit, is pretty damned cool.

The graphics of this game weren't a big issue for me, but that being said, I DO have to grade them fairly. While you know what you're looking at when you look at it, the detail can also stray from "Well, that's pretty cool" to "This isn't an N64 game DAMN IT!" To be fair, it's early on in the system's life-span, so you can't expect perfection, like previously stated. In all honesty though, it looks pretty good, but in parts, it looks like the developers nodded off a bit. Like maybe they fell asleep and mashed a few random numbers and letters into the code or something. Moving right along...

Multiplayer: 7/10

While I can't say much about multiplayer, as I've only played a match or two, I have to say I was moderately impressed by it. It's definitely fun to just pick up and play with a few buddies.

Rent or Buy?

With all the talk of this game being crap (I can't say that I think it's crap myself but opinions do waver) I'd rent it first. If you bought Call of Duty 3, and liked it, but thought there wasn't enough "in your face" action, Red Steel is DEFINITELY for you, and you should pick it up immediately.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 01/02/07