Review by xXEnvyOurLoveXx

"The Wii needed an FPS for launch - Ubisoft Provided!"

While Red Steel is not the killer ap that everyone was hoping for, it is still a great game to play and a great introduction and start to what FPS's could be like on the Wii. It's main problem is that its flaws are very noticeable, but if your a gamer willing to forgive a few flaws, it will not make a difference!

The game is a blast to go through, that is once you get used to the controls. There is a steep learning curve, and I'm sure the developers felt a learning curve too, considering the wiimote should have been put to much better use. Still, the enemies are fun to fight, and a lot of the added game mechanics make for a fun game. In fact, if some of the things were fixed up, then I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather play FPS's on the Wii then any other system out there. Add in wii connect 24 and there are so many possibilities for the Wii!

The graphics are not the best, but the criticism they get is a little off. The lighting effects are very appealing, and things animate pretty well. Explosions, etc make for one pretty good looking game! There are slow times here and there, and notable glitches though. So if you want your games to be "perfect" you wont find it here. Still it was really nice walking through the streets to see the neon lights. And the characters are really intersting too, atleast in the way that they are modeled.

One thing to note is that while the story seems pretty cool (going to Japan to save your wife) the cutscenes are pretty bad. I mean, a lot of them are cool, but some you would much rather skip.

The sound is overall decent. The voice acting is a little bland though. Sound effects are fine, but I still expected more, as usually sound is never a problem in games for me. Overall, nothing to complain at all here, the sound helps the game more then it hurts it.

There is multilayer support, which is good if you have a lot of friends, but its really not anything special. If you can forgive some of these notable flaws you feel find a really engaging game with some excellent ideas, a great world, and a fine run through. I look forward to a sequel!

In the end, red steel is a game you should certainly consider picking up. It is the best FPS on the Wii at this time, so if your an FPS fan with the cash, you should consider this game more then any other. Yes, the controls are off with its learning curve, but that doesnt mean that you wont enjoy yourself here!

I had a blast playing through this game and if you are a little hesitant, consider renting the game first. This game is especially good coupled with another game, such as Zelda and Rayman. No matter how hesitant you are, just make sure to try it out, it could be a gem in your eyes! Most importantly, dont listen to the "official" reviews. Take it from fellow Wii fans, this game is worth a try for sure!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/02/07