Review by Upochapo

"Anxious? Stressed Out? Slap a Rabbid."

Having successfully completed Rayman Raving Rabbids, I have decided to write my first review of a game. Ever.

A lot of Rayman enthusiasts seem to not like this game and put off by it because of one thing: it is not a traditional Rayman platformer. Having never played a Rayman game myself, I cannot say either way whether or not this game is a disservice to the Rayman universe or a masterful addition to it. Make no mistake about it, Rayman does play second fiddle to the Rabbids through the entire game. I am solely basing my review on presentation and fun factor.

Raving Rabbids, as it stands, is a very fun and often times hilarious game. I have never played a game that made me laugh as much and as hard as I have. If you have a very good sense of humour, you will appreciate this title more. As a collection of mini games, there is quite a bit to do in Raving Rabbids. Some of it is a bit repetitive and some games will make you pull your hair out. But, there is a nice variety of games that you are bound to find a good bit of personal favorites.

Graphics 8/10

Yeah. The touchy subject when it comes to Wii games. Depending on your level of scrutiny, you may feel that the graphics may actually be lower. I love my eye candy just as much as the next person, however, I understand that superb graphics also don't make a great game. As a whole, the graphics in Raving Rabbids are very well done. The animations of the Rabbids are done really well. There is no progressive scan, so the game only plays in 480i. The world created in Raving Rabbids has a solid style and feel.

Story 3/10

There is not much of a story to this game. It is a super basic story. If you are looking for a game with an engrossing story, this is not it. However, since the design is a collection of mini games it is very hard to fault the game for not being in depth.

Controls 9/10

The controls in this game are great. They really mix it up with the wiimote and nunchuck. This game does everything from precision aiming to endurance testing. There was only one game where I had issues because both units had to be held a certain way because of the sensitivity and preciseness of the controllers. After, I figured this out it was smooth sailing and got really good at that particular game. So, I'm chalking that up to normal human user error.

Replay Value 9/10

This game is packed with replay value. And, with the web feature, you can post a code to rank yourself against other players around the globe. Unfortunately, due to Nintendo's Wifi service not up and running they had to resort to a code method.
Hopefully, they will be able to do game rankings and leader boards automatically with future titles.

The "Suck Zone" 10/10

For myself, when playing a game, depending on how well a game can immerse me and keep me coming back for more is a better indicator to how good the game really is. I like to call this the "Suck Zone" because it well, sucks you in. Raving Rabbids has a strong suck zone. I keep going back for more. It's those Rabbids. They just have this effect on you.

Conclusion:

Raving Rabbids could have easily stood on its own two rabbid legs as a new franchise. Ubisoft did a fine job in creating an entertaining product. Hopefully, in the near future we will get to see more rabbids who are bigger and funnier than ever. Ubisoft could take this game as a spinoff and make the next Rayman a traditional platformer for all the purists and die hard fans of the series. Until that happens, just kick back, unwind and let the stress flow with a good back hand to a rabbid.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/04/06