Review by wolverinefan

"A decent srpg for the Wii"

I'm sure I'm rather late to the party but this is my very first Fire Emblem game. I do own the Gamecube one but haven't even opened it yet and it's been in my collection for over a year. So I can't make the comparisons that other reviews have but those reviews stated the game reuses a lot from the Cube game. So if you're new to the series then I guess this review is for you.

Set after the events of the last game our heroes are setting out as a resistance force or something. A bit was lost on me and I did have to look some stuff up to get it all. That really shouldn't be needed but the game really doesn't offer a video or anything on what happened last time. Either way the plot this time around is pretty basic and while the characters are really likable my problem came from it all being just a bit tired and clichéd as a whole.

Graphically this game looks good. The cut scenes are top notch and are done in the style of an anime. In game animations seems alright but not anything special. Character models, while nice also get repetitive and by the end of the game I was getting my color coded guys confused.

The music in this game is rather haunting. I really liked it and it set the games mood perfectly for me. If I really cared I would get the soundtrack because I enjoyed the music that much. Sadly the sound effects are fairly basic and the voice work is laughable which is a shame.

Control in the game is all done via the Wiimote. Use the d-pad to move around the grid and A and B are used for commands. Very simple and basic and it doesn't even use the Wii's motion controls.

Fire Emblem is your typical SRPG. I really don't see what's so grand about the game but it does play smoothly.

Move characters around a stage via grids. Everyone can move only so far per turn and can attack. Range depends on weapons or spells. It's all of your basic stuff here.

Later on you get some guys who can transform which are kind of cool I guess but really the game play is very basic and does nothing new for the genre except show that titles like this have no plans of moving it forward.

But don't let me scare you away though because the game plays fine, if not a bit dated. If you're new to the genre then this is an easy enough game to get your feet wet with. On the other hand I really can't recommend it to the regular SRPG fans as this game feels like more of the same ole thing we've been getting since the early PS1 days.

The game isn't really long either with about 35 missions total. It's one of the shortest SRPG titles I've played. There are some added bonuses for new games and there are higher difficulties and other stuff.

As a srpg fan I can't recommend this game as one to rush out and buy. On the other hand the Wii really needs good games and this is a good game, if a bit clichéd and stale. Worth a rental and a purchase if you're a fan of the series. Genre enthusiasts may want to look else where for their next fixing because this isn't worth it if you've played any more recent srpg.

Story - 7/10
Graphics - 8/10
Sound - 6/10
Control - 7/10
Game Play - 7/10
Replay value - 4/10

Final Score - 7/10

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/10/07

Game Release: Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (US, 11/05/07)