Review by mikejetd0rk

"Finally a game built around the Wiimote"

Finally a game comes out that was built specifically with the Wiimote in mind. You have to agree that almost all the games since launch were simply ports of games from other systems, Zelda included as it began its life-cycle as a GC title, with added on Wiimote controls. Here, Konami has built an entire game out of the Wiimote abilities.

Not bad considering all the physics calculations that must be going on at any given moment. The object HAVE to be somewhat simple because you can literally interact with almost everything in the room once your Capture Gun gets enough juice. The cutscenes are beautiful hand-drawn images that really portray the Elebits world. Even though the elebits are tiny when you get up close to them there are good details that were put into their designs. They kind of remind me of the Kodama from Princess Mononoke. All in all the graphics suit the game almost perfectly.

Terrible voice acting and a horrible soundtrack. If I could just turn off the sound and just play the Katamari soundtrack I would but for certain parts of the game, sound becomes very important. The music almost tried to put you to sleep but then again you want to keep playing so you end up conflicted. With all the innovation Konami put into this title they really dropped the ball on the music and voice-over.

This is where it's really at. Taking the idea of the anit-gravity gun from HL2 and turning it into a child's toy was an ingenious idea. The first time you pick up an object, rotate it, and throw it away you will be amazed. I was. When you start your first level and start zapping those little guys(I think they're guys but I'm not sure) you will have tons of fun. It was like the first time I played Parappa, it's that much fun. You learn different ways to interact with the environment such as twisting doorknobs and faucets, turning on appliances, and messing up your room. The levels have time limits and I have no complaints about that. you can unlock the Eternal mode for a level by collecting all three Pink Elebits within that stage. You will come across different challenges which I would like for you to discover to not spoil the fun you will have.

Complaints:
Two gripes one that is explainable and one that isn't.

First, when something is in front of a door or drawer, no matter how small the object is, you will not be able to open it fully or if you open it too fast it will close again. This is very frustrating as you are under the clock and in a rush sometimes to get everywhere you can and for one little pot to stop you from going into the next room will infuriate you. This is explained by the somewhat bouncy physics that has been described in online reviews. Every object bounces to some extent. Even the items you use for the capture gun. I may need to use the gun a little lighter.

Second, I cannot explain it but this is the ONLY first person perspective game that has ever given me headaches. After 2-3 hours of playing I start getting a headache and for the life of me I can't figure it out. I am so used to playing 4-6 hour marathon sessions of Halo 2 and CS and never get any problems but after 2 hours of this a headache starts to form and I need to stop for a while. I wonder if anyone else is suffering from this.

Closing Comments:
All in all a very good first outing for Konami and an excellent use of the Wiimote. This game is a sign of good things to come.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 12/18/06