Review by benjaminben_1

"Underrated and underplayed - a launching hero"

Konami has long held the flag as one of the greatest game developers ever to hit these shores (forgive my sailor-esque speech, Pirates 3 has had a lasting effect on me, but as a great teacher once told me, “I like to think my life has an impact on my works”). With titles such a Yugioh, Lunar Knights(Boktai) and Castlevania, Konami has placed itself in an “instant-trust” setting with its fans, and upon hearing of the release of a new title by Konami, many flock to the opportunity of owning the new release. Being able to proudly say that I can resist the alluring call of Konami's fan clubs, I will also state that, with the release of “Elebits” for the Nintendo Wii, I was a few short steps away from considering why I wasn't part of this group of fans. By now you know that the Wii's motion sensing technology can either be put to great use (Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, Trauma Centre: Second Opinion) or horrible use (Prince of Persia Rival Swords), and one that definitely deserves to be added to the list of positive's is Elebits. The game incorporates every part of wrist and arm movement available, and gives a strong sense of realism within a game that is so strictly fantasy-based that you're going to wonder which world you'd rather spend more time in. The setting for Elebits is a basic one: you play as a child, whose parents are renowned researchers of tiny life forms known as “Elebits”. It is said that Elebits arrived on Earth traveling on a large bolt of lightning, and that these little guys produce electricity. One fateful evening, the city experiences a blackout, and our hero's parents rush out to the lab to try and figure out why. This leaves him at home alone, with no power and a strong sense of abandonment and resentment towards his parents. It is this list of events that drives him to pick up the “Elebit-Capturing” gun (a Boktai-looking laser gun that can levitate objects and capture Elebits) and wander about zapping the poor little guys to use their energy in an attempt power the house and other areas. The story may seem childish, and that's because it is. However, this does not take away from the fun aspects of the game, such as lifting and tossing bookshelves, beds, and even houses on your search for Elebits to power your city!

“the Wii's motion sensing technology can either be put to great use (Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, Trauma Centre: Second Opinion) or horrible use (Prince of Persia Rival Swords), and one that definitely deserves to be added to the list of positive's is Elebits.”

The control scheme is a lot like the story in that it is simple and straight to the point. You use the “a” button to zap and lift objects, the “c” button to stretch upwards to view higher areas, the “z” button to crouch, and movement of the Wiimote to do the throwing and the aiming. Movement of the character is performed with the analog. The simple controls won't matter when you get into the game though, since the wonderfully unique gameplay does a very good job of speaking for itself. As you move from area to area catching Elebits to power different objects and eventually clearing stages based on watt-counts, different penalties will begin to appear based on the amount of noise you make and the time it takes for you to complete each stage. These penalties can be viewed as a god-send for the hardcore gamers or a hindrance for the more casual player. In my opinion, a little difficulty adds to the frantic-fun nature of the game and makes it even better! In addition, different Elebits produce different amounts of electricity, so be on the lookout for different colored Elebits as they give off different scores. As well, some Elebits do nothing but nasty things that I will leave to your imagination in the name of spoilers, and to top it all off, an Elebit's level of fear or comfort will also determine the watts you receive for capturing it, so don't go barging into boxes and closets expecting a happy welcome. If you do find you have a heavy foot or a trigger-happy finger that induces fear, the games wonderful stock of items can knock-out, charm, and make Elebits easier to find, and can also give our hero great strength. If you happen to get bored of the single-player campaign, this title offers multiplayer modes and map-editing, but sadly, very sadly, has no online features to speak of…

“The control scheme is a lot like the story in that it is simple and straight to the point.”

In truth, although Elebits is a wonderful title with an astounding idea backing it, the childish appearance is deceiving and the difficulty can certainly make the game anything but fun for gamers who are not fans of the hide-and-seek genre. The only other downside to the game are the graphics, and although it pains me to say it, there are some better looking titles being sported on the N64. However, if you're looking for a fun title with a cool concept, and you're able to look past some graphical deficiencies and a childish storyline, look no further!

The Good: gameplay, Wiimote usage, concept. It's good to see a new hide-and-seek game hit the shelves.

The Bad: under-worked storyline, graphics, and daunting difficulty times.

OVERALL: 8/10

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/12/07