Review by wolverinefan

"A flawed but amusing game... at first"

Elebits was a title that went under my own radar but with a lack of games and my boredom and a rental service I gave the game a chance. Is it a sleeper hit? Does it bring great usage to the Wii's unique controls? Is it worth adding to your Wii collection? Read on!

A little girl wants her dad to read her a bed time story so he opens up a book about a boy who hates Elebits because his parents are Elebit researchers. He feels neglected so he decides to capture them all (think evil version of Pokemon). The plot works but it feels super kid friendly. As if it could be made into a Saturday morning cartoon.

The graphics in the game are pretty good. A lot of thought went not into how things look but into the visualization of how the room is put together. It does appear to be like almost any house. The graphics are bright but sometimes I found it hard to spot the Elebits even when they were in the open.

The sound in the game is okay. The Elebits let out little squeals and things clump and clatter as you toss them. The voice acting is a bit annoying and high pitched. I enjoyed the music for what it's worth and the game allows you to pick what song you want to listen to in each stage so that was a nice touch.

Control in the game is really tight for the most part. The nun chuck is used to move around the worlds. It's responsive and moves just right. The Wiimote is used to aim and shoot. This works very well and the two controls work perfectly with each other. This is the first Wii game I've played that uses both controls perfectly together. On the other hand I ran into issues with opening doors. Maybe I just didn't understand how to but it caused me many problems. More than it should have and because it was a rental I had no way of figuring it out.

The game is made up of 29 missions. Each mission has a time limit ranging from 5 minutes to 15 minutes. Give or take. The goal of each mission is to capture so many watts of Elebits before the timer runs out.

To do this you use a gun of sorts. It latches onto items. Now, the Elebits hide behind boxes, inside drawers and they live inside electrical items. Shake the boxes and stuff to get the out. When you get enough to turn an item on you will go to it (the game tells you what item has been powered on) and hit it's switch. This is all fine and dandy for the first few missions but I found myself later on throwing stuff in a rush and accidentally knocking something over that has a power button. Which would be fine but the physics in the game are so bouncy that it becomes a problem turning the item back over a major problem.

But the game likes to change the game play up and after your first few missions you run into missions where you can only break so many glass items. This may be fine; it might mean you need to take more care when searching, which is a good thing. However the game sets up awkward instances where you need to move these glass items with care to bypass areas. This is tedious and if it felt realistic it may have worked but it doesn't because the glass item placement is too weird and makes no sense.

I wish I could say there is more to the game but there isn't. It's a video game version of hide and seeks with a time limit. It works on some levels. The game offers some interesting extras. You can create your own levels which is an interesting idea but I didn't see any saves on-line for those and I guess that means you need to use a friend code or something. There is also some multiplayer stuff but I only own one set of controls and my friends aren't gamers. It does offer a meaty single player experience.

While I didn't get much enjoyment out of the game I can see others can. If you have wifi access and friends then a lot more is open to you. While I found the single player rather dull, it might work better in smaller doses. Sadly this isn't a bargain bin title which is what the game play feels like. I don't mean that in a bad way but it's a bit too simple and shallow of an experience.

Story - 5/10