Review by Firestorm85

"Super Mario is now Super Paper Mario"

Wow. That is the first word that comes to my mind when I think of this game. Since getting it, I haven't been able to put it down ... and right now, I've only stopped so I can tell other people how great it is, so they too might partake of the wondrous glory that is this game.

Where to begin? Well, I'll just start with the most obvious element of this game: its unique visuals. This game gets a 10/10 in the graphics department. The visuals are crisp and clean, and the art direction is superb. The character design, as with all the Paper Mario games, is stunning, and the special effects are just so cool, in a subtle sort of way, that very often I found myself smiling just to see them. Don't be turned off by the fact that this game is *largely* 2D -- because it's games like this that prove that 2D still has a place in gaming.

But, of course, this game is not strictly 2D. The 3D components, while not as unilaterally beautiful, really add to the game. Sometimes, you'll be in an area, and you'll flip to 3D, and the change in scenery will be so drastic that you won't be able to help but laugh at how far off your perception was before you flipped to 3D. All in all, the graphics are beautiful.

Next, I'll talk about the sound. This section gets an 9/10. As far as the music goes, a lot of it is really great, but not all of it stands out. There are some remixes of classic Mario tunes, and some new songs that really capture the Mario mood. But, then, there are some songs that are obviously just filler: you won't remember them after you turn off the game. These songs are not bad; they're just not fantastic in their own right. In any event, all the songs fit well into the game. Some of them are mellow, some of them are really frenetic, but they're all fun.

Sound effects are perfect. There's not much else I can say.

The story, you ask? It's great! I mean, sure, it's not the most complex video game story of all time. But it fits the Mario style beautifully, and, somehow, you really find yourself caring about these Mario characters. I'd give it a 9/10, simply because of how well it fits with the style of the game. As a note, some have complained that there is too much dialogue: I disagree. While the game may not be suited for very young children just learning to read, the dialogue in this game works. It's funny, really well-written, and interesting. And, there's not too much. It's just fine.

The controls? Fantastic. My only gripe is that my hands are too big, and holding the Wii-remote sideways (as this game requires) cramps up my hand after 5 hours of play. But other than this minor issue, the controls in this game are so smooth and polished ... when I first started playing I smiled with joy at the ingenious, and yet simple, controls. 10/10, for sure. I just wish my hands weren't so big.

And lastly, the gameplay. The single most important component of any game. Since I gave this game a ten, you've no doubt already figured out how I feel about the gameplay. But I'll say it anyway. SIMPLY AMAZING. This game manages to bring together the feel of, say, Super Mario World for the SNES (one of my favorite games) with a lot of the puzzle-solving/RPG aspects of Paper Mario (another one of my favorite games), and do it in style. Every puzzle is logical, and figuring them out is rewarding. In some games, you get stuck and never want to play again. In Super Paper Mario, if you get stuck, just trying to find a way out is massively enjoyable.

Additionally, there's plenty of extra stuff to do in this game to keep you busy. The main quest, however, is a bit on the short side. Well, at least I think so. I liked this game so much, I just never want it to end. Anyway, the gameplay is great. 10/10, no question.

That's my review of Super Paper Mario. Do yourself a favor and pick up this gem. I'm sure glad I did. Now ... back to playing!

My score (i.e., the average of the above scores): 9.6
GameFAQs rounded up score: 10

Thanks for reading!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/04/08

Game Release: Super Paper Mario (US, 04/09/07)